- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
The CNU Charter Awards recognize exemplary work by CNU members and their allies who design and build places people love. The winners not only embody and advance the principles of the Charter of the New Urbanism, they make a difference in people's lives.
The Charter identifies three major scales of geography for design and policy purposes. The largest scale is composed of regions. The middle scale is made up of neighborhoods, districts, and corridors. The smallest scale is composed of blocks, streets, and buildings.
The Charter Awards are given to projects at each scale, with special recognition reserved for the best projects at the professional and student levels. The CNU Charter Awards, given annually since 2001, are the world's preeminent award for urban design, placemaking, and community building.
2023 Charter Award Winners:
Charter Award Winners
- Albany Skyway, Albany, New York—Stantec Consulting Services
- Hearth: Memorial to the Enslaved at William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia—Baskervill
- Larkin Place, Elgin, Illinois—Full Circle Development and Cordogan Clark
- Pullman Artspace Lofts, Chicago, Illinois—Stantec Architecture Inc.
- ReLeaf Cedar Rapids, Cedar Rapids, Iowa—Speck & Associates and Confluence
Merit Award Winners
- Downtown Westminster, Westminster, Colorado—Torti Gallas + Partners
- Hammond Downtown Master Plan, Hammond, Indiana—Speck & Associates and Stantec’s Urban Places
- Higher Ground Initiative, Republic of Nauru—Metrocology and CIVIC/URBAN
- SCLT Headquarters, Providence, Rhode Island—Union Studio Architecture & Community Design
- WeCollab, St. Louis, Missouri—YARD & Company
- Willkommen Urban Infill, Cincinnati, Ohio—Model Group, 3CDC, and GBBN
Student Merit Award Winners
- Thamesmead Expansion, London, United Kingdom—UC Berkeley College of Environmental Design
- Goha Sefer-The New Urban Quarter, Gondar, Ethiopia—Metaya Tilahun, Notre Dame
View the videos from the 2023 Charter Awards ceremony detailing each winning project here!