- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
City of Taylor, Texas
Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Location: Taylor, Texas
About Position: The City of Taylor, located in Williamson County northeast of Austin, is seeking a qualified applicant for a Planning Technician. This position accepts and processes online and walk-in planning applications; assists with the tracking and processing of planning cases; prepares public notices; prepares and assists in the preparation of staff reports; answers phone calls and walk-in customer questions regarding the planning process and planning applications. Reports to Director of Development Services or designee. This is a non-supervisory position. The Planning Technician works closely with City personnel, has frequent contact with representatives of various governmental, business entities, developers, and the general public.
About the City of Taylor: Taylor, Texas is a beautiful city with a large downtown area rich with history and charm. Taylor, incorporated in 1882, boasts a dynamic cultural heritage. Today, Taylor continues to grow and expand as part of the regional development in the Austin area. The City of Taylor operates as a Council / Manager form of government. The City is governed by a five member Council. The City Council appoints the City Manager to be the Chief Administrative Officer and oversees an organization of 150 full time employees and an operating budget for Fiscal Year 2018-19 for all funds of $ 29.6 million. The City is organized into a number of departments including Police, Fire, Development Services, Public Works, Finance, Library and Parks & Recreation.
Associates degree in planning; GIS; geography; government or related field and two years of experience in a municipal development services department; or a Bachelor’s Degree in planning; GIS; geography or related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License required. ICC Permit Technician or Zoning Inspector certification preferred.
- planning principles and practices, including comprehensive planning, zoning, platting, and site development;
- principles and practices of research and data collection;
- effective writing techniques;
- statistical, algebraic or geometric knowledge and ability to apply such knowledge in practical situations; and computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, GIS, and case management software
- communicate orally and in writing with appropriate interpersonal skills to explain rules and procedures clearly to the public;
- gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems;
- review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions;
- work on several projects or issues simultaneously;
- work independently or in a team environment as needed;
- use case management software to manage planning cases.
Application Instructions: A City of Taylor Application is required for this position. Resumes alone will not be accepted. Apply on-line at www.taylortx.gov
BenefitsHiring Range:$18.33 – 21.56/hour DOQ. Health, Dental, Vision, Basic Life, and Long Term Disability Insurance (employee coverage paid by the City); retirement with Texas Municipal Retirement System; Social Security match; Paid holidays, vacation and paid sick days. The City of Taylor is a good place to live and work. The City of Taylor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.