- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization
Location: Central Texas
Regional Planner or Senior Regional Planner
Work Objective: Assist in the development transportation plans and studies in CAMPO’s six-county region. Work will focus on short- and long-term planning in rural, suburban, and urban areas and communities. Work is performed under general supervision of the Regional Planning Manager with latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment based on professional education and previous experience. This position will specifically focus on comprehensive regional transportation planning and will also involve other work as assigned.
Duties, Functions & Responsibilities: The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this job description. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Assist with development, implementation, and/or analysis of short- and long-range transportation plans, subarea studies, land use/transportation coordination, performance metrics, grant applications, and other multi-modal planning and studies.
- Coordinate with staff, stakeholders, and committees to ensure input on programs and projects.
- Prepare reports and present to various audiences including the CAMPO Transportation Policy Board, elected officials, member-government staff, stakeholders, and the public.
- Coordinate and conduct outreach with various stakeholders inclusive of local governments, partner agencies, the public, vulnerable populations, and others as identified.
- Keep up-to-date with transportation funding requirements; review regulations and procedures.
- Conduct required background research and data collection to support recommendations for system development, support on planning studies and pilot projects, state and federal grant applications and related reports.
- Provide support in developing scopes of work and schedules, related budget cost controls, technical analysis and coordination, quality control, and general project delivery.
- Research and analyze industry trends of land use and development in multi-modal planning.
- Coordinate interagency activities for specific planning efforts and/or projects.
- Provide support for development and maintenance of CAMPO's Regional Transportation Plan and Transportation Improvement Program.
- Prioritize and organize work assignments.
- Take initiative to perform other duties to maintain CAMPO operations.
- Perform drafting, layout, and graphics work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Each position will be filled by one of the following depending on qualifications.
Regional Planner: Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university (master’s degree preferred) with major coursework in Planning, Urban Design, Geography, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science or a related field or discipline, plus a minimum of one (1) year of experience related to the job.
Senior Regional Planner: Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university (master’s degree preferred) with major coursework in Planning, Urban Design, Geography, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science or a related field or discipline, plus a minimum of four (4) years of experience related to the job. Twelve (12) semester hours of relevant graduate college coursework may substitute for six months of required experience with a maximum substitution of two (2) years. Relevant experience may substitute for the required education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and ability to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in demographics analysis.
- Knowledge of planning methods, techniques, and strategies.
- Experience in researching, evaluating, and interpreting complex information and analyzing, preparing, and organizing technical/statistical reports and documents.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups.
- Ability to multi-task and re-prioritize tasks due to changing events, and set and meet deadlines with limited supervision.
- Ability to use basic office equipment and operate a PC to use a variety of planning, plotting and mapping software packages including, ArcGIS, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Creative Suite (including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to solve problems by researching and suggesting appropriate alternatives and implementing solutions.
- Experience interpreting and effectively communicating written and verbal information including rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Experience in the development of sub-regional, corridor, and access management plans.
- Experience working with elected officials and government leaders.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during work, both internally and externally.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of small groups and act at lead worker when required.
- Access to reliable transportation to and from work related functions.
- Member of American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).
- Knowledge of and experience in regional, multi-modal transportation planning.
- Familiarity with the MPO planning process, the rules and regulations pertaining to the process, and regionalism in transportation.
- Knowledge of capital and comprehensive planning and programming.
- Ability to develop material for and deliver presentations to elected officials, regional leaders, and the public.
Salary: Salary is $52,235 - $75,683 annually (DOQ). This position also includes accrual of paid vacation and sick time, plus paid holidays. Benefits such as health, vision, dental and other insurance plans are available.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and/or portfolio to Mr. Kelly Porter AICP, Regional Planning Manager at email@example.com. Writing sample or portfolio should highlight original work authored/created solely by candidate. If the sample was created in a group/team project, please signify the portion developed by the candidate. Candidates will not be considered until cover letter, resume, and work sample are provided. Work samples completed as students are acceptable.
For more information about the jobs and CAMPO, click here