- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Now hiring: National Complete Streets Coalition Director
The National Complete Streets Coalition, a program of Smart Growth America, seeks a passionate, professional leader to serve as its Director. The successful candidate will build upon a decade of success by taking the Complete Streets movement to the next level.
About the Coalition
The National Complete Streets Coalition is a non-profit, non-partisan alliance of public interest organizations and transportation professionals committed to the development and implementation of Complete Streets policies and practices. A nationwide movement launched by the Coalition in 2004, Complete Streets is the integration of people and place in the planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of transportation networks. To date, over 700 agencies have adopted Complete Streets policies.
We promote the development and implementation of policies and professional practices that ensure streets are safe for people of all ages and abilities, balance the needs of different modes, and support local land uses, economies, cultures, and natural environments.
About the position
The Director reports to Smart Growth America’s President and CEO and works in support of a strategic plan developed collaboratively with the Coalition’s Steering Committee, a diverse group of national public interest organizations and transportation consulting firms.
- Articulating the Complete Streets vision to varied audiences, including policy-makers, transportation professionals, public health professionals, and advocates
- Developing and delivering a program of policy, research, and technical assistance to advance the Complete Streets movement
- Managing Coalition staff and consultants
- Shepherding federal policy activities related to Complete Streets, including legislative and administrative strategies
- Researching and writing reports, memos, and other resources on a variety of related topics, from developing a policy through maintaining projects and from the perspective of different user groups and modes of transportation
- Providing technical assistance to transportation agencies, public health organizations, advocacy groups, and others in Complete Streets topics
- Managing Coalition membership, including recruitment and renewals
- Planning events and meetings for Coalition members, allies, and funders
- Securing funding for the Coalition’s activities, including pursuit of grants and contracts
- Preparing the program’s annual budget and providing financial oversight and controls throughout the year
Attributes of a successful candidate
We seek a Director who has at least seven years of experience within a nonprofit, government, or private sector organization in the field of transportation planning and design. The successful candidate will be an organized, focused, personable leader with:
- Skills and ease serving as program’s public face; ability to be credible and communicate with diverse audiences, including media; natural ease making public presentations
- Experience managing relationships with and among other organizations working at the national, state, and local levels
- Deep knowledge of best and emerging practices in transportation decision-making, including community engagement, project delivery systems, and performance measures
- Excellent writing skills, both in formal publications and informal means such as blog posts and Twitter
- A “can-do” attitude, resourceful and thoughtful when solving problems
- The ability to work under pressure and meet urgent deadlines without compromising the quality of the finished product
Salary, benefits, and location
This is a full-time position with an annual salary range is between $75,000 and $95,000, based on experience. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k), and paid vacation and sick time. The position is based in Smart Growth America’s offices in Washington, DC.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and short writing sample to Smart Growth America Vice President Roger Millar at email@example.com, with “Complete Streets Director” in the subject line. In the cover letter, candidates should highlight elements of their personal and professional background demonstrating deep knowledge of Complete Streets issues, project management, fundraising, and Coalition-building. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and early submissions are strongly encouraged.