- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Asheville, NC
We are seeking a dynamic and visionary professional to join our small urban planning and civic economics firm as a Principal. We have fun understanding a place and making data reveal truths to the community to see themselves anew. As a Principal, you will play a pivotal role in leading our team to develop and deliver innovative visualization and explanation to enable mature civic decision making. Your strategic thinking, exceptional leadership skills, and deep expertise in urban planning will guide our firm in shaping vibrant communities and driving positive urban development.
You can speak with empathy to both sides of the political spectrum. You have a great sense of humor, and are relatable. Humans do funny things and it makes you laugh. You see politics as a performance art, and keep your eye on the fact that form follows finance; and to move the mouse, you have to move the cheese. Change the incentives, and you change land use. You care about the mission of the aforementioned. You want to buck the system, and you see the power of being politically agnostic to accomplish that act. You get a thrill from helping communities and you have the courage to take risks. You are curious and thirsty for knowledge. You like leading. Turning the world upside down doesn’t phase you.We work closely with other urban designers, planners, real estate developers, architects and landscape architects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership to the urban planning team, overseeing project execution, quality control, and timely delivery of client commitments.
- Lead the conceptualization, design, and implementation of urban planning projects, including: communicating civic finance and land use integration, demystifying the entanglement of human tendencies with civic benefits and costs, and explaining alternative solutions. Collaborate with clients, government agencies, and community stakeholders to understand project requirements, address concerns, and ensure alignment with regulatory frameworks.
- Foster a culture of innovation and excellence within the firm, promoting best practices, continuous learning, and the integration of new technologies in urban planning.
- Mentor and develop team members, providing guidance, feedback, and professional growth opportunities.
- Identify business development opportunities, cultivate client relationships, and participate in proposal writing and presentations to secure new projects.
- Stay current with industry trends, emerging technologies, and policy developments, and integrate relevant insights into project strategies.
- Represent the firm at industry events, conferences, and forums to enhance its reputation and network with key stakeholders.
- Present work on site with clients
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proven track record of successful leadership in urban planning projects, with a minimum of 10 years of experience in progressively responsible roles.
- Strong understanding of urban design principles, civic finance, land use policies, and sustainable development practices.
- Exceptional communication skills empathetic, concise, and effectively engaging with clients, team members, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, analyze complex urban challenges, and develop innovative solutions.
- Proficiency in project management, including scheduling, and resource allocation.
- Leadership experience in guiding, mentoring, and motivating multidisciplinary teams.
- Adept at understanding and interpreting capacities and outputs of data analysis, modeling, and visualization tools.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills for addressing diverse stakeholder interests.
Educations and Experience
- Master’s degree or higher in Urban Planning, Architecture, Public Administration, or a related field.
- Professional certification in urban planning or a relevant discipline is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in progressively responsible roles within the urban planning field, with a focus on project management and leadership.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.urbanthree.com/about/careers/