- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Bloomington, MN
Creative Placemaking Specialist
Salary: $28.48 - $31.21 Hourly
This position will be in person with an opportunity for hybrid work upon completion of training. The City of Bloomington is seeking an individual to assist the Creative Placemaking Director on various Creative Placemaking initiatives such as permanent public art projects, event and meeting coordination, community engagement, and the development and implementation of a city-wide creative placemaking plan.
City Values and Expectations
- Models and contributes to a positive work environment, culture of communication, engagement and safety
- Communicates effectively and respectfully with employees and the general public, including but not limited to those of diverse racial, ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Works cooperatively as a member of a team; develops and maintains effective working relationships with diverse coworkers and community members; consistently brings a high level of self-awareness and empathy to all personal interactions
- Embraces the City’s shared values and contributes towards accomplishing the City’s vision and goals by being creative, innovative, continuously learning, and communicating clearly
Examples of Duties
- Assist Creative Placemaking Director to plan and implement public art projects, events, workshops, and meetings.
- Support the development and implementation of a city-wide creative placemaking plan.
- Establish and participate in community engagement and outreach efforts. Work closely with the Creative Placemaking Commission, local artists, community groups, community leaders, and other stakeholders to design and implement opportunities for creative placemaking projects.
- Facilitate artist calls, request for proposals, requests for qualifications, and other artist or consultant selection processes.
- Assist the Creative Placemaking Director with scheduling, communications, and meeting/event support. Attend Creative Placemaking Commission meetings and other public meetings and take minutes or notes as needed.
- Support the Creative Placemaking Director and the Communications Department on Creative Placemaking promotional efforts. Develop and monitor content for websites and social media.
- Develop and update an art registry and maintenance plan system.
- Manage public art budgets for individual projects and track maintenance and conservation needs for City- owned artwork.
- Track metrics and performance measures related to creative placemaking initiatives on a timely and consistent basis for internal and external reporting.
- Participate in relevant professional development opportunities to stay informed about emerging trends and best practices in creative placemaking.
- Perform other duties as apparent or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of creative placemaking principles and best practices.
- Experience with arts related project management and organizing projects with many stakeholders and partners.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills, including the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience with community outreach and engagement.
- Organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and creative.
- Ability to multi-task and monitor multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to foster relationships and represent the City of Bloomington regarding creative placemaking projects.
- Ability to work flexible hours to lead or attend evening and weekend events as assigned.
- Three (3) years full-time professional experience in public art programs, community arts organizations, municipal arts-related programing, or similar experience that includes aspects of: project management, working with artists, event planning, developing, or implementing art and cultural master plans.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications
- High school graduation or GED equivalence
- Valid driver's license and dependable car OR access to reliable transportation required for occasional travel to meetings and sites, particularly within, but not limited to Bloomington
- Work experience or participation in the local community and arts and culture scene.
- Work experience with public art including administration or producing public art
- Ability to work respectfully, knowledgeably and effectively with diverse populations
- Ability to speak a second language, in addition to English that has a recognized presence in the community. (Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese, Chinese Mandarin, Cambodian, etc.)
- Advanced education in arts administration, arts and culture management, fine arts, visual or performing arts, urban planning, community development, or related field.
- Experience with various forms of outreach and marketing, including social media
- Aptitude with presentation software, i.e. PowerPoint, Prezi, or similar
How to Apply
Apply online at www.BloomingtonMN.gov/hr