- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Nashville, TN
Planner 2 – Advanced Planning & Research Division
The Metro Nashville/Davidson County Planning Department is seeking an experienced individual to join its Advanced Planning & Research Division and help develop Nashville’s annual six-year Capital Improvements Budget through analysis and inter-agency coordination.
Planner 2 is a non-Civil Service, contract position. Metro Nashville offers excellent health, dental and retirement benefits, and competitive paid vacation time, paid sick leave, and paid holidays. The Planning Department currently works a 3/2 hybrid work-week, with two additional weeks of remote-work available annually.
The annual Capital Improvements Budget includes hundreds of funding proposals; each year, it must be prepared and assembled for the Metro Council on a fixed timeline, making attention to detail and a quick pace a necessity. Advanced Planning & Research is looking for someone who can assist in creating the CIB each year, by linking department requests with guidance from departmental master plans. This will help to build a comprehensive view of Nashville’s long-term investment needs. We are looking for candidates who can help by:
- Understanding infrastructure and facility systems. This could include transportation planning, facilities needs and evaluations, infrastructure assessment, or capital planning. The ideal candidate will understand the various ways that facility and infrastructure systems support quality of life and are monitored for equitable access, performance, and condition over time.
- Communicating and working cooperatively with departments to demonstrate how department needs align with broader community goals as identified by Nashville’s General Plan, NashvilleNext. Some departments have extremely complex and sophisticated planning programs; other have minimal capital needs. The ideal candidate will be able to communicate clearly in writing and verbally across these departments to understand department priorities and ensure appropriate completion of all CIB requests.
- Understanding and evaluating quantitative measures, reports, and processes. Much of the above is based on something written and technical, particularly when departments have formal, written plans identifying their capita needs. Part of this position’s time will focus on translating those analyses into a common format to compare across departments. The ideal candidate will be familiar with one or more different ways to make these comparisons, such as level of service analysis, multi-criteria decision analysis, cost-benefit analysis, or triple- bottom line analysis.
The Advanced Planning & Research team uses a variety of technical tools for its work, including spreadsheets (Excel), relational databases (Access), geographic information systems (ArcGIS), and R for reproducible data analysis. Familiarity with one or more of these tools is preferred.
Education and Certification Requirements
- Master’s degree in Planning, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a related field, with exposure to the public sector or a capital planning field with two years of professional experience or Bachelor’s degree in the same fields with four years of professional experience in the public sector or a capital planning field.
- Must have the ability to gather data, analyze facts, think critically, and make accurate decisions, communicate effectively, and establish good working relationships with government officials and other related entities.
- Should have knowledge of planning and budgeting principles, such as cost benefit analysis.
- Should have knowledge of public capital systems, such as transportation systems, water and wastewater systems, and public facilities.
- Should have experience with spreadsheets, databases, geographic information systems, and publishing software.
How to Apply
Metro Nashville Planning Department
800 Second Avenue South
P.O. Box 196300
Nashville, TN 37219-6300
E-mail to: email@example.com
(No Phone Calls Please)