- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Wichita, KS
Senior Planner-Advanced Plans
Salary: $54,655.00 - $97,176.00 Annually
Distinguishing Features of Work
The City of Wichita is now seeking a Senior Planner-Advanced Plans to join its team and help develop and implement plans that improve the quality of life for all citizens in our community. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical and research skills, creative problem-solving abilities, and be passionate about making Wichita a better place to live, work, and play.
The Senior Planner is responsible for working closely with residents, community groups and businesses to design, implement and review civic plans for the area. This includes hosting forums and events to gain input from citizens, developing surveys, researching, and reporting outcomes and managing an annual work plan. The Senior Planner will also develop strategies and policy initiatives, track progress and provide presentations in varying public forums.
Ideal candidates must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills and be able to think creatively to carry out the vision of their community. Previous experience in a leadership role within an urban planning department, as well as a professional degree in relevant fields such as city planning, public administration, or policy, are required.
Examples of Work Performed
- Manages planning processes – including the preparation of neighborhood, area and corridor plans.
- Meets with and advises applicants, architects, developers, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and the general public regarding City and County planning and development policies and standards.
- Manages and provides analysis of zoning, CUP, PUD, vacation, annexation or platting cases.
- Provides public presentations in a variety of settings.
- Prepares planning research analysis, and staff reports for a variety of audiences – including: advisory boards, elected officials, staff, and members of the public.
- Reviews development proposals and applications for compliance with appropriate regulations and policies; negotiates solutions that balance the community’s values and private property owner concerns.
- Prepares land use control regulations, often based on previous examples.
- Coordinates professional and technical personnel in the gathering of information, data analysis, plans preparation, and resulting policy recommendations.
- Assists citizens with questions and issues regarding processes and programs.
- Meets with neighborhood, community and development groups as part of the planning process.
- Uses GIS software to look up information, assist stakeholders, create maps and analyze data.
- Ability to use and learn proprietary software programs to complete projects.
- Facilitates the implementation of comprehensive plan elements into specific initiatives/projects for public or private action.
- Develops grant applications.
- Monitors, administers and evaluates third party contracts.
- Draft RFQ’s and FRP’s when warranted.
- Participate on local and/or regional boards, representing the Planning Department as needed.
- Writes legal notices, creates property owner notification letters, prepares agendas, and writes minutes for various meetings.
- Completion of work assignments may require the operation of a vehicle.
- The examples of work performed are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- The City of Wichita reserves the right to assign additional duties as needed.
Requirements of Work
- Considerable knowledge of current land use trends and of landmark court cases on planning issues.
- Considerable knowledge of research methods and sources of information relating to metropolitan growth and development.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of metropolitan planning.
- Knowledge of municipal government administration.
- Knowledge of computer keyboards and ability to access, interpret, and record information through use of a video display terminal and electronic keyboard.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lean and reach as needed to read and interpret plans and specifications from a print that may be as large as 36 by 48 inches with information printed as small as twenty characters per inch.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees of other Departments, representatives of outside agencies, City/County officials, and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in oral and written forms.
- Ability to collect site photos, conduct site visits, and hold site meetings on a regular basis.
- Must be able to transport files and materials.
- May require ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas driver's license.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Current Department Projects
Places for People Plan
In June of 2019, the City and County approved the Places for People Plan, the Urban Infill Strategy for the City and County. It recommends investment in areas largely established prior to the 1970’s The Planning Department is currently working with community stakeholders to recommend: updates to the zoning code based on this plan. Implementation of this plan to-date has helped result in the creation of the Wichita Land Bank and Wichita Affordable Housing Fund. On-going efforts include developing design standards for infill development and the resulting zoning code changes.
Zoning and Subdivision Cases
The Planning Department is responsible for administering the City and County processes for zoning changes and platting. This involves accepting applications, providing staff support to the Wichita- Sedgwick County Metropolitan Area Planning Commission (and sub-committees), distributing public notices, and more. The public meetings for subdivision and zoning cases occur on alternating weeks throughout the year. The Planning Department processes approximately 500 cases per year.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/wichita/jobs/3520492/senior-planner-advanced- plans?sort=Salary%7CDescending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs