- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Zebulon, NC
Salary: $50,464 - $75,694
Closing: June 1, 2023
Full-Time - The Planning Department is looking for an experienced, energetic, hardworking person that can think outside the box. This person can use creative ways of addressing issues but stays withing the parameters of the UDO and Town Ordinance. The department works well as a team and wants to find that person that is a team player willing to work to make the department successful by meeting the needs of the customer. This position works under the direct supervision of the Senior Planner doing research, making presentations, working with Planner I with GIS and working with developers and customers.
There is up to a $3,000 signing bonus for the right person.
- Conducts review of various development applications including plats, permits, site plans, variance requests and rezoning requests, especially as it applies to Transportation regulations.
- Interprets and applies applicable state, county and local codes, ordinances and regulations
- Prepares and presents detailed reports, and presentations for elected and appointed boards.
- Assists with updates and maintenance of Comprehensive Plan and Unified Development Text Amendments.
- Writes and presents formal and technical reports, working papers, and correspondence
- Identifies community problems, issues, and opportunities in particular neighborhoods that could be mitigated through better community planning
- Develops long range plans for communities with common developmental issues
- Evaluates adequacy of community facilities in meeting current and projected needs
- Does project management for various public improvement plans.
- Writes, or assists in writing, a variety of ordinances and regulations relating to development controls
- Attends evening and weekend meetings as needed
- Collaborates with the Planner 1 for Geographic Information System maintenance and activities to include mapping, verification of data accuracy, and maintenance of database information, and coordination with other agencies as needed.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, kneeling, walking, standing, fingering, grasping, talking (expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words), hearing (perceiving nature of sounds by ear), and perform repetitive motions.
- Must be able to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and up to 10 pounds frequently.
- Requires visual acuity to include the ability to see various colors, review material including maps prepared by staff, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, use of measuring devices and determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work.
- Works subject to adverse environmental conditions as needed.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in urban planning, geography, landscape architecture, or similar field and two years of related experience or a Bachelor’s Degree and three years of practical experience.
- North Carolina Certified Zoning Official and AICP Certification are preferred.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish encouraged
- Valid NC State Driver’s License.
- Well-developed knowledge of planning principles and practices
- In-depth knowledge of one or more planning specialization, such as land use planning/zoning, transportation planning, environmental planning, urban design, housing, historic preservation or economic development
- Knowledge of principles, methodology, practices of research and data collection
- Statistical, algebraic, or geometric knowledge and ability to apply such knowledge in practical situations
- Working knowledge of ESRI, Energov, Adobe, Microsoft programs and similar software packages.
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to present research findings to various boards and committees
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve less well- defined practical problems
- Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions
- Group facilitation skills for use with community workshops
- Excellent ability with computer programs and applications, which may include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, econometric or transportation modeling, and database management
- Experience in community remediation and redevelopment, and knowledge of relevant Federal programs
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed
- Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to facilitate in-person and virtual public participation activities
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/townofzebulon/jobs/4046041/planner-ii