- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Charlotte, NC
Associate Planner and Urban Designer
Closing: Tuesday, May 16, 2023
The Urban Design Center is in the Design + Preservation Division of the City of Charlotte Planning, Design and Development Department (PDD). The Urban Design Center consists of 6-7 team members. Candidates will be a part of a team and can expect a fast-paced environment and should excel in communication skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides support on projects to the Urban Design Center
- Production of project work, such as creating maps, renderings, drawings, and graphics
- Writing and designing planning reports, including assisting on Corridors of Opportunity projects
- Participate in and prepare community engagement meetings and experiences for most projects
- Assist on placemaking projects from design through construction
- Provide design guidance to City Capital Projects
- Work with PDD and other Departments on major initiatives where urban design is concerned (e.g., Corridors of Opportunity, CATS LYNX Silver Line, Strategic Mobility, Charlotte Future 2040 implementation, Community Area Planning, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of urban design principles, practices, and their applicability to the public realm and the community
- Ability to write about planning and urban design principles and explain those principles graphically
- Ability to produce maps, renderings, drawings, and other graphics
- Experience working with teams on design and/or planning projects
- Comfort with presenting and working with diverse audiences and all segments of the City’s population.
- Proficient skills in all Adobe Suite products, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, and SketchUp, as well as Microsoft Word.
- Four-Year degree in Architecture, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Planning, Urban Design, or related degree, with a strong preference that it be supplemented by a master’s degree in the above fields of study.
- Three years (3) years of urban design experience in multiple areas of practice (notably urban design, public space planning, placemaking, policy planning and implementation).
Associate’s Degree and one year relevant experience. OR Bachelor’s Degree.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.jobapscloud.com/oec/Charlotte/Jobs/Bulletin?R1=2305&R2=211300&R3=01