- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Planning Director, Montgomery County Planning Board
Salary: $190,000.00 - $220,000.00 Annually
Closing: May 16, 2023
Founded in 1927, the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a nationally recognized leader in land use planning, parks, and recreation achieving countless awards for innovation, stewardship and exemplary vision for enhancing the lives of current and future generations. The agency, which is chartered by the State of Maryland, has geographic authority in the Montgomery County and Prince George’s County region, which are the two Maryland counties surrounding Washington, DC.
The Planning Director will have the opportunity to lead a dynamic Planning Department with a tradition of innovation and excellence that authors comprehensive master plans, functional master plans, makes zoning recommendations, and regulates subdivisions, site plans and forest conservation approvals in a growing and a highly diverse county with close to 1.1 million residents. The Director is a key player in a 317,000-acre county with development that includes urban, rural, and agricultural.
In addition, the Planning Director oversees and directs the preparation of the annual departmental budget request, reviews and approves the needs of divisions, and submits requests to budget authorities. The Planning Director is appointed by and reports to the Montgomery County Planning Board and oversees a staff of 150 employees.
- Controlling expenditures in accordance with approved budgets.
- Reviewing work program progress.
- Approving changes in scheduling, organization or staffing as necessary to meet objectives.
- Providing top-level coordination of the planning function with planning authorities, various public agencies at all levels, legislative bodies, the local development industry, and private citizens.
- Introducing innovative planning concepts requiring the application of new methodologies and approaches.
- Using advanced analytic techniques to explore and resolve complex aspects of community growth.
- Approving or formulating major policy planning recommendations that address controversial, current, and long-term growth issues.
- Oversight of historic preservation staff.
- Effectively communicating decisions and recommendations to the County Council, the State Legislature, stakeholders in the planning/development process, and well-educated residents.
- Coordinating with the Parks Director in Montgomery County and other officials in the full commission.
- Coordinating and preparing presentations to the full council and committees.
This position requires a master’s degree in planning, parks, architecture, engineering, environmental science, or related subjects and twelve years of progressively responsible and broad-ranged planning experience, to include four years of planning experience at the managerial level, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate for this position will be a visionary leader with demonstrated experience in advancing planning projects that contribute to a community’s overall quality of life. The position builds deep connections throughout the County and consistently upholds and reflects the Commission’s core values of inclusion and diversity. With an astute political awareness, the position builds effective relationships with state, regional, and local officials and, without taking political sides, advocates and partners on behalf of the Commission.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/bakertilly/jobs/3989067-0/planning-director-montgomery-county-planning-board-m-ncppc
This position is open until filled; however, interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply no later than May 16, 2023. For more information, please contact Yolanda Howze at email@example.com or 312-240-3401.