- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Director of Planning
Salary: $114,473.00 - $177,433.15
The Director of Planning for the City of Virginia Beach will lead a highly skilled planning and community development team that is governed by the City’s Code, Charter, and Administrative Directives. S/he will develop a forward thinking strategic vision, have strong knowledge and skills in land use, and lead a dynamic team of planning professionals in the vision and development of our City.
- Supervise the preparation and maintenance of the City's Comprehensive Plan (including transportation), applying it to planning development and growth.
- Provide oversight in the coordination and monthly rezoning, use permit, and other planning item agendas for Planning Commission and City Council.
- Communicate with developers, citizens, and other community groups fostering development opportunities.
- Coordinate all phases of the land development review process.
- Represent City's position to various state, federal and local agencies in various administrative, legislative, or judicial proceedings.
- Coordinate planning efforts in preparation of capital improvement programs along with other City departments and boards and commissions as necessary.
- Provide oversight of State Uniform Building Codes, state and local stormwater requirements, and requirements specified by the State Department of Environmental Quality.
- Lead the preparation and dissemination of pertinent community related information to ensure that the data is accurate and representative.
A Master’s degree in Urban or Regional Planning, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Business Management or a similar program and six (6) years management experience; or higher-level education and experience equivalent to twelve (12) years in fields utilizing the knowledge, skills, and abilities, including five (5) years of higher-level program management or administrator experience in a comparably sized department/city/county.
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume at http://virginiabeach.gov/careers
Position will remain open until filled. Resumes will be reviewed ongoing.