- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Clearwater, FL
Planner/Sr. Planner - Long Range
Salary Planner: $50,592 - $60,710 depending on qualifications
Salary Senior Planner: $64,569 - $77,482 depending on qualifications
Under limited direction, the Planner OR Senior Planner performs professional and technical level development review (current land planning) work in connection with the administration of the land development code.
- Provides entry-level to professional level planning work in a variety of capacities, depending on Division, related to the use of land in the City including development review, site plan approval, signage, landscape review, zoning and land use.
- Provides extensive and professional customer service for the general public, including assistance to walk-in customers, other City departments, and outside professionals.
- Serves as a contact person for zoning inquiries, applicable land use laws, and general ordinances.
- Participates in a variety of meetings and public hearings relating to planning.
- Conducts and performs research, gathers data, organizes and provides general analysis of findings for use in special planning projects.
- Develops reports and recommendations relating to a variety of planning topics such as land use, redevelopment, design guidelines, urban design, historic preservation, community facilities, economic base, population, and housing.
- Confers with outside agencies, officials, neighborhood groups, developers, design professional, and realtors.
- Assists and participates on special planning projects by conducting research, gathering data and providing general analysis.
- Assists in the preparation and presentation of planning data in graphic and/or written format.
- Gathers, compiles, and uses data for analysis; makes recommendations and presentations at the staff level at various review committees, boards, and council meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Long Range Planner
- Processes petitions for annexation, land use amendments, re-zonings, and amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and Community Development Code.
- Prepares technical reports, ordinances, and Community Development Board and City Council agenda items and presents items.
- Reviews requests for consistency with the Comprehensive Plan and Community Development Code, with the Countywide Plan rules and state statutes.
- Assists with community engagement as part of planning and transportation plans and projects and presents to community and business groups.
Long Range Senior Planner
- Performs and manages complex and sensitive professional planning projects, research and analysis.
- Assists with the preparation of project scopes and manages the work of consultants related to planning.
- Processes petitions for annexation, land use amendments, zoning atlas amendments, development agreements, and amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and Community Development Code.
- Develops special area plans, prepares technical reports, ordinances, Community Development Board and City Council agenda items; ensures all amendments are consistent with the Countywide Plan for Pinellas County and state statutes.
- Develops and coordinates public involvement strategies, presents to community and business groups and engages the community as part of plans and projects.
- A valid State driver's license is required.
- AICP certification, CNU accreditation, PTP (Transportation Planner), and/or similar is preferred, but not required.
- PLANNER: Bachelor’s Degree in Urban, City or Regional Planning, Engineering, Architecture, or related field AND one (1) year of experience in development services or planning at the local government level; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- SENIOR PLANNER: Bachelor's Degree in Urban, City or Regional Planning, Engineering, Architecture, or related field AND eight (8) years of experience in development services, planning, or related field; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Principles and practices of city planning, zoning, land use, land development regulations, architecture and urban design, form based and performance based codes, and familiarity with new urbanism principles
- Comprehensive plan, community development code, and state statutes
- NACTO and AASHTO design guides for urban streets, bikeways, and bike/ped facilities (Transportation Planner)
- Report development and presentation
- General office policies and procedures
- Computers and general office equipment
- Reviewing plans and recommending changes and updates
- Analyzing data and applying information to zoning, urban design, and other planning activities
- Reading and reviewing site plan documents, including surveys, civil and architectural drawings, and landscape plans
- Project management; managing time and project load appropriately
- Monitoring permitting and application status
- Communicating effectively, verbally and in writing, with strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Operating a computer and related software including Microsoft Office 365; experience with SharePoint and GIS preferred
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/clearwaterfl/jobs/3723981/planner-sr-planner-long-range