- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Denton, TX
Salary: $60,000.00 - $107,000.00 Annually
Responsible for performing professional planning functions including processing and reviewing development applications, and communicating development regulations to the general public, developers, citizens, and officials. The position advises and coordinates development activities and projects with other departments, developers, builders, outside agencies, and the general public. Performs related planning duties utilizing various development codes. Work is performed with moderate supervision.
- Provides excellent customer service while conducting permit and plan review activities, which includes: accepting and processing permit applications, checking for completeness and compliance with applicable Local and State requirements; reviewing and issuing permits for miscellaneous construction projects; processing and issuing approved commercial, residential, and fire permits; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Provides technical support associated with permitting activities, which includes: coordinating public inquiry on development processes, codes, ordinances, submittal and permit requirements; processing utility releases; maintaining logs for permit distribution and permit review turnaround times; may schedule and enter activities; initiating cases in database; generating and processing a variety of daily, weekly, and monthly reports; prepare narrative staff reports and recommendations of some complexity, prepare public notices, and/or, performing other related activities.
- Provides customer service to both internal and external stakeholders as a significant part of this role, including greeting customers; answering phones; responding to requests for information or service; performing other related activities.
- Interprets and applies applicable local, state, federal laws, and rules.
- Maintains a variety of records for the department related to development activities.
- Prepares a variety of reports related to departmental activities.
- Conducts research, including occasional field research, in specific or general project areas.
- Adheres to established work product deadlines.
- Maintains regular and punctual on-site attendance.
- May investigate violations, conduct field inspections; or attend public meetings outside of normal business hours.
- Performs financial activities in support of department operations, which includes: collecting permit, development, registration, and other miscellaneous fees; maintaining accounts; administering accounting systems for fee receipts; balancing; generating revenue reports; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 1 year of customer service experience
- 2 years of construction/design/planning or municipal experience
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Associate degree from an accredited university
- Any combination of related education, experience, certifications and licenses that will result in a candidate successfully performing the essential functions of the job
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices;
- Skilled in providing customer service;
- Skilled in problem-solving Knowledge of basic filing principles;
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping practices;
- Skilled in reading and interpreting development/construction documents;
- Skilled in interpreting and applying applicable code requirements and permitting processes;
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
- Skilled in reading and comprehending highly technical or specialized materials;
- Skilled in reading and interpreting plans, blueprints, schematics, and/or other related development documents;
- Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness in interpreting and applying guidelines;
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications;
- Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to form and maintain effective relationships with co-workers and customers
- AICP Certification
- Previous customer service, construction or municipal experience
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree, particularly in urban planning, architecture, public policy or a related field of study
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/dentontx/jobs/3591146/planner-i-iv