- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
City of Chicago
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Traffic Engineer IV
About Position: Under general supervision, performs and provides oversight in the conduct of professional traffic engineering work related to the design of streets and roads and the regulation and flow of traffic and performs related duties as required.
- Conducts field surveys on arterial streets to collect data on traffic patterns, volume, speed, capacity, accidents, parking and makes recommendations for modifications (e.g., pavement markings, signage, bicycle and pedestrian accommodations and traffic signals)
- Analyzes survey data and recommends the installation of traffic control devices, including traffic signals, stop signs, crossing areas and directional arrows
- Prepares engineering plans for new and existing streets, including design of traffic calming devices
- Drafts project work plans, specifications and estimates for labor, material and equipment costs for traffic projects
- Reviews and approves plans prepared by consultant engineering firms to ensure compliance with established design standards and specifications, sound engineering principles and City ordinances and makes changes as required
- Reviews vouchers submitted by engineering and construction firms, ensuring payment requests reflect completed work
- Investigates traffic complaints, conducts studies and makes recommendations to eliminate problems found
- Confers with contractors on plan changes and contract modifications and assists in resolving problems that arise during construction
- Monitors the work of field crews installing traffic signs and pavement markings to ensure proper installations
- Assists in training and providing guidance to lower level staff
- Attends and presents at meetings with community groups, elected officials and other governmental agencies
- Conducts traffic analyses, prepares traffic study reports and develops engineering plans for streets throughout the city
- Reviews and approves public and private site development and site impact studies
- Participates in preparation of design standards and policies
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, plus two years of traffic engineering experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience provided that the minimum degree requirement is met.
A valid State of Illinois Driver’s license is required
Must have the permanent use of an automobile that is properly insured, including a clause specifically insuring the city of Chicago from accident liability
Education & Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
Selection Requirements: This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected. The interviewed bidders possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected in seniority order according to the collective bargaining agreement.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous work experience in sign and pavement marking design
- Previous work experience using Micro-station and Synchro
- Previous work experience with technical engineering reports
- Previous experience working with the public and elected officials
- Previous working knowledge of Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel
Location: 30 N. LaSalle 5th Floor, Chicago, IL 60602
Days: Monday – Friday
Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Application Period: 4/15/19 to 5/15/19
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should apply at the City of Chicago’s application website: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
From there, click on Apply for Job Opportunities. From that site under the Organization drop down menu, click on Department of Transportation and click search. You will then find the Traffic Engineer IV position link.