- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
City of Las Cruces
Tuesday, March 26, 2019
To event remaining 4 days
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Planner - Long Range Planning
Nature of Work:
Performs work of moderate difficulty in professional municipal planning; assists developers and the public in applying planning and zoning regulations and City information sources to development projects, technical issues and land use plans. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services.
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
Work is performed in an office setting. Light physical demands; mostly desk work. Frequent use of a personal computer.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
This recruitment will be used to fill a full-time, regular, exempt position with a primary emphasis in comprehensive, long-range or advance planning within the Planning and Revitalization section but may be used to fill other Planner positions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides technical and professional planning services to achieve consistent and controlled growth in the City; assures project plans are in conformance to City goals, and in compliance with local, state and Federal codes and regulations.
- Reviews and evaluates development proposals, development designs, applications, planning and zoning changes, variance requests, technical documents and special permits for compliance with City standards and regulatory requirements; answers inquiries and assists the public and other agencies in matters relating to planning, zoning and permit review, and other City standards and regulations; provides information and recommendations within scope of authority.
- Reviews and processes a variety of applications, permits and plans; creates correspondence and reports, and coordinates with customers as needed; reviews development plans with residents, developers and builders; develops recommendations, and summarizes all issues for presentation to the City Council and Planning & Zoning Commission.
- Manages special projects as assigned; conducts research and analysis on permits, plans, rules and regulations; conducts field surveys to evaluate sites and determine suitability of proposed land use changes; researches planning issues and regulations, and provides data on land use issues and related subjects as requested.
- Participates in meetings with government officials and community groups; provides information to the Planning & Zoning Commission, the City Manager, City Council and other City departments as needed; coordinates with various regional government organizations, community groups, and state and Federal agencies; attends public meetings and presents information on regional planning and zoning issues.
Bachelor's Degree in Planning, Engineering, Earth Sciences or a related field PLUS two years municipal, urban or regional planning experience. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Valid driver's license is required; Certification by American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City policy.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of Principles of land use planning; City Comprehensive Plan and zoning codes; City, county, state and Federal laws, codes and regulations pertaining to community planning; research techniques for land use trends and regulations; nomenclature, symbols, methods, practices, techniques, and computer software used in planning, drafting, mapping, and statistical analysis as applied to land use; principles of record keeping and records management; business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications; City policies and procedures.
Skills in Researching and analyzing the factors affecting community planning projects; organizing, evaluating, analyzing and presenting data and information; preparing reports and checking designs, details, estimates, plans, and specifications of planning projects; analyzing planning issues, evaluating alternatives, and making logical recommendations based on findings; maintaining accurate and interrelated technical records.
Ability to Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and customers; understanding and interpreting land use regulations, zoning enforcement and state and Federal laws.
Applications may be obtained and filed here
For more information about the job, click here