- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Congress for the New Urbanism
Thursday, January 31, 2019
Location: Washington, DC
Do you aspire to help build places people love? Are you highly organized and a strong multi-tasker? Then you might be a great match for our vibrant, fun, and challenging work environment.
Organization: The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is leading the revival of walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods. As a membership-based advocacy organization, CNU works to advance and promote the principles of New Urbanism. CNU promotes healthy, sustainable urban design and planning techniques to common practice. CNU supports public policy that enables great placemaking and seeks to remove barriers to sustainable development. For more information please visit www.cnu.org.
Staff Values: The following set of values guide the work of CNU staff:
- Belief in the CNU mission- CNU staff believe that the built environment and good design matters for creating places people love.
- Commitment to excellence- everything that leaves the office is a reflection of our best effort.
- Good stewards- CNU staff is wise stewards of the organization’s resources.
- Collaborative – CNU staff are open, transparent, and dedicated to helping each other achieve and produce their best work.
- Diversity – CNU staff celebrates our different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences and seek to increase inclusion in our work and mission.
Position Summary: CNU seeks a highly organized, efficient, and creative individual to serve as a Administrative Assistant to support CNU’s President & CEO, Board of Directors, and membership program. Working out of CNU’s DC office, the Administrative Assistant will report directly to the President & CEO.
Qualities: CNU seeks an Administrative Assistant who embodies a particular set of characteristics and qualities. The ideal candidate will display the following:
- Exceptional writer, editor, and verbal communicator;
- Creative and organized, capable of executing tasks and responsibilities in an entrepreneurial environment;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, priorities, and projects, while staying on deadline;
- Ability to work independently and with a team, including CNU staff and the Board of Directors;
- Ability to see what needs to get done and does it;
- Ability to prepare letters, reports, and other documents for publication;
- Skilled in interacting and maintaining effective relationships with a diverse group of individuals;
- Interest in New Urbanism, sustainable development, urban issues, and the built and natural environment.
Qualifications: CNU seeks an Administrative Assistant with the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university;
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office Suite in a Mac OS environment;
- Graphic design skills, including proficiency in Adobe InDesign, a plus; and
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn web development in the Drupal and WordPress platform, a plus.
Support the President & CEO (20%). The Administrative Assistant will provide direct support to the President and CEO, including but not limited to the following:
- Prepare meeting logistics and materials, including briefing papers, reports, and agendas
- Maximize CEO’s travel by identifying and coordinating additional meetings that could be scheduled when traveling to other cities
- Oversee CEO’s calendar and long-term scheduling
- Research speech and event topics and assist with preparation of briefing materials
- Prepare and format materials for presentations, including PowerPoint presentations
- Organize conference calls and meetings
- Coordinate and schedule speaking engagements
- Book flights, hotels, ground transportation, and other travel arrangements
- Support CEO’s fundraising efforts, including researching potential funders, managing contact database, tracking funding reports, organizing fundraising calls and major gift solicitations, etc.
- Other tasks as needed
Assist with Board of Directors activities (20%). The Administrative Assistant will work closely with CNU leadership to help shape the organization and movement. Specific tasks include:
- Organize board meetings, including recording meeting minutes, preparing board and committee meeting packets, and staffing board and committee meetings (e.g., Executive Committee)
- Manage board listserv and communicate meeting details in a timely and organized fashion
- Manage and distribute materials to potential and current board members in coordination with board leadership
- Track board member terms, annual membership compliance, and meeting attendance
- Coordinate staff reports to the board
- Support board- committees, such as the executive and DEI committees
Support CNU Membership, Chapters, & Accreditation (30%) In collaboration with the Membership Engagement Manger, the Administrative Assistant will help grow, maintain, and support CNU’s membership. Specific tasks include:
- Organize monthly membership receipt data for mailing
- Conduct outreach, develop and send invoices, process payments, and fulfill benefits for CNU group members
- Respond to general member inquires received through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support monthly chapter calls
- Organize and maintain chapter materials. Share information as requested
- Calculate quarterly chapter dues
- Coordinate with the University of Miami to send CNU-Accreditation registration lists, and process and communicate results
- Maintain Accreditation materials and information on CNU.org
Other Administrative Duties (20%) The Administrative Assistant will perform basic administrative and office management task. Specific tasks include:
- Print and organize checks and invoices for review and signing on a weekly basis
- Review and code monthly credit card statement and provide missing receipts
- Manage office needs: supplies, furniture, technology, etc.
Other Duties as Assigned (10%) CNU staff work collaboratively to tackle projects and opportunities that may fall outside of our regular day-to-day program work. The Administrative Assistant will be asked to engage on such projects, if and when they arise, and to the extent that he/she has bandwidth and something to contribute
Promotion Potential: This is an entry-level position with the potential for promotion.
Salary & Benefits: CNU strives to create a fun, challenging, and supportive work environment, offering employees:
- competitive salary based on experience;
- the ability to work with national new urban experts on a range of topics;
- a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and life insurance;
- a 401k plan with 3% Safe Harbor Contribution; and
- generous holiday and paid time off.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three (3) references to CNU’s Deputy Director, Abigail Sheridan, at email@example.com by January 31, 2019.
Position will remain open until filled.
CNU is an equal opportunity employer with fulfilling careers in design, placemaking, innovation, leadership development and administrative support. Diversity is a critical source of strength for us. Different racial backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, ages and points of view contribute to our effectiveness as an organization. That’s why we actively seek to create an inclusive workforce and workplace. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.