- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
One Hundred Miles
Saturday, January 6, 2018
Location: Savannah, GA
Coastal Advocate (AD)
One Hundred Miles is dedicated to preserving and enhancing Georgia’s 100-mile coast. We are an advocacy organization, building public support for this mission through collaboration, celebration, and education. The programs we lead and those in which we participate will help establish One Hundred Miles as a leader in the community and a trusted resource – protecting Georgia’s coast forever.
One Hundred Miles is seeking a Coastal Advocate (CA) to engage elected officials and members of coastal communities and to advance awareness and development of solutions for addressing coastal population growth and sea level rise (SLR). The CA will be a critical team member who works to establish the organization’s presence as a trusted and dependable advocate in the communities along Georgia’s 100-mile coast.
The Coastal Advocate will be responsible for building community support for investments in solutions that integrate growth management and SLR adaptation policies and practices. The CA must have grassroots and community organizing experience and a passion for community planning and environmental conservation. Additional skills that are beneficial but not required include expertise in policy-making and lobbying. The ideal candidate will be responsible for and must be comfortable with relationship building and navigating political and governmental processes. The CA will formally and informally interact with local government officials, business and industry leaders, conservation activists, local and state agency staff, and others.
The Coastal Advocate is a full-time position budgeted for a two-year term.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Educating and empowering citizens and local government on the north end of Georgia’s coast (Chatham, Effingham and Bryan Counties) to advocate for solutions to unsustainable growth and SLR.
- Engaging businesses, corporations and other organizations to advocate for responsible growth management policies and local government acknowledgment of and accommodation for SLR.
- Connecting activists, local elected leaders, public agencies staff, and others to entities with common interests/experiences and shared resources.
- Developing and implementing campaigns to engage citizens in efforts to oppose proposals that threaten natural resources and community safety.
- Organizing events that demonstrate the public’s interest in conservation-minded land use planning and SLR adaptation.
- Working closely with media outlets and through social networks to raise awareness about projects we would like to see advanced or opposed.
- The ability to establish working relationships with local elected officials and, when necessary, state and federal officials.
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO and VP of Coastal Conservation.
Required Skills and Qualifications
We are looking for a talented and driven individual to accelerate our efforts, and the successful candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with grassroots organizing and/or campaign building
- Experience with or interest in environmental conservation
- Ability to work constructively and creatively in a team atmosphere – both inside and outside of the organization
- Ability to think through issues and create appropriate strategy to move the mission or an issue forward
- Competency working independently to carry out programs, implement campaigns, and guide others
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft suite, presentation software)
- Superior attention to detail
- Excellent leadership skills
This position is located in our Savannah, GA office and will require the employee to travel to communities on the Georgia coast as needed. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should email a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing your specific qualifications and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered. No telephone inquiries. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted. One Hundred Miles is an equal opportunity employer.