- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Congress for the New Urbanism, Inc.
Wednesday, January 3, 2018
Location: Washington, DC
Member Engagement Manager
Do you aspire to help build places people love? Are you a creative thinker? Do you love engaging people? Are you incredibly organized? Then you might be a great match for our vibrant, fun, and challenging work environment.
Organization: The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is leading the revival of walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods. As a membership-based advocacy organization, CNU works to advance and promote the principles of New Urbanism. CNU promotes healthy, sustainable urban design and planning techniques into common practice. CNU supports public policy that enables great placemaking and seeks to remove barriers to sustainable development. For more information please visit www.cnu.org.
Summary: CNU seeks a passionate and highly organized individual to serve as the Member Engagement Manager. Working out of CNU’s DC office, a successful candidate will have experience in membership development (and retention) and strong skills in database management. This position will report directly to CNU’s Deputy Director. This is a mid-career position.
Qualities: CNU seeks a Member Engagement Manager who is: 1) an exceptional communicator (in both) written and spoken form, 2) a creative thinker with a track record of growing membership and/or subscription programs, and 3) experienced and interested in New Urbanism, sustainable development, and the built and natural environment. Additionally, the successful candidate is able to: 1) work independently and with a team, 2) manage multiple tasks, priorities, and projects, while staying on deadline; and 3) see what needs to get done and do it.
Responsibilities: The primary responsibility for this position is to manage and grow CNU’s membership operations. This entails three major components: 1) developing and implementing member engagement strategies, 2) managing and fine tuning CNU’s existing database, and 3) interacting directly with CNU members, Chapter, partners, and like-minded organizations. CNU is comprised of over 2,500 dues-paying members, but has a following of close to 20,000 people worldwide. Specific activities include:
- Develop and execute membership growth strategies at the individual and group levels.
- Manage and refine CNU’s membership database.
- Develop all member communications in collaboration with CNU’s Communications Manager, including by mail, email, web, and social media.
- Act as a liaison between CNU staff and members, serving as the primary personal contact for CNU members.
- Coordinate with CNU Chapters (19 active local and regional US Chapters, eight interest groups and organizing committees, and several international affiliates). This position will serve as the primary liaison between Chapter and CNU leadership, providing support and guidance as needed.
Other Functions as assigned. CNU staff work collaboratively to tackle projects and opportunities that may fall outside of this position description. The Member Engagement Manager will be asked to engage on such projects, if and when they arise, and to the extent that he/she has bandwidth and something to contribute.
Qualifications: CNU seeks a Membership Engagement Manager with the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or a level of education that, together with experience and training, demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities;
- Well-versed in database creation and management (CiviCRM, Excel, etc.);
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office Suite in a Mac OS environment;
- Three to five years of proven experience in member relations, development, and growth;
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn basic web development in the Drupal and WordPress platforms, a plus.
Salary: Salary based on experience within the range of $55-65,000.
- Ability to work with national new urban experts on a range of topics
- Fun, challenging, supportive work environment
- Benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; a 401k plan; and generous holiday and paid time off.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and three (3) references to CNU’s Deputy Director, Abigail Sheridan, at email@example.com by January 3, 2018. Position will remain open until filled.
CNU is an equal opportunity employer with fulfilling careers in design, placemaking, innovation, leadership development and administrative support. Diversity is a critical source of strength for us. Different racial backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, ages and points of view contribute to our effectiveness as an organization. That’s why we actively seek to create an inclusive workforce and workplace. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.