- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Do you want to help change the world? Do you aspire to help create places people love? Are you an excellent writer? Do you sometimes edit the newspaper for fun? Do you have creative ideas about how to market events? If you feel like you meet these qualifications, you might be a great match for our vibrant, fun, and challenging work environment.
The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is leading the revival of walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods. A membership-based, advocacy organization, CNU works to advance and promote the principles of New Urbanism. CNU seeks to restore urbanist design and planning techniques to common practice. CNU supports public policy that enables great place making and seeks to remove barriers to urbanism. For more information please visit www.cnu.org.
CNU seeks an experienced communications and marketing professional to provide leadership on all aspects of CNU’s communication issues, including, but not limited to: developing and editing written materials, marketing events, managing and growing CNU’s social media following, and coordinating with the press. The Communications Manager reports to the President & CEO.
CNU seeks a Communications Manager who embodies a certain set of characteristics and skills—qualities that distinguish him/her from the crowd. The ideal candidate will display the following qualities:
- Exceptional writer, editor, and verbal communicator;
- A creative and organized leader, capable of setting direction and executing tasks and responsibilities in an entrepreneurial environment; and
- A proven track record of successful communications strategies and messaging.
The responsibilities of the Communications Manager are varied and diverse, key responsibilities are listed in priority order.
- Writer, editor, and coordinator of all written materials coming from CNU Headquarters, including such items as newsletters, editorials, marketing materials, web content, factsheets, publications, etc.
- Develop, direct, and execute a creative communication strategy, positioning the organization as a prime source of expertise and solutions for more sustainable, healthy, and economically vital communities.
- Assist with the development, writing, and framing of fundraising proposals, including sponsorship material.
- Strategize on CNU’s broader communication’s message and develop specific elements to implement that message.
- Distribute timely and frequent communications via CNU’s communication channels (Twitter, Facebook, email listservs, website, and other news outlets), to engage and grow CNU’s social media audience.
- Serve as the organization’s chief point of contact for press and media inquiries. Monitor media coverage and coordinate with CEO or Board for appropriate response.
- Develop, direct, and execute an annual Congress communications plan, including translation and promotion of the theme to potential attendees and media.
- Collaborate with the staff to strategically position CNU initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team, including CNU staff and Board members
- Superior knowledge and experience with social media
- Superior knowledge of media and public relations
- Ability to tell stories that connect with a professional and non-professional audience
- Knowledge of proposal development, fundraising, and marketing materials
- Experience in developing and driving creative digital communications and social media strategies
- Computer proficiency, including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (MS Excel), database (CiviCRM), graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite) in a Mac OS environment
- Ability to prepare reports, news releases, and other documents
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, priorities and projects
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to be highly organized in a fast-paced work environment
- Skills in interacting and maintaining effective relationships with Board members, staff, members and the general public
- Knowledge of and interest in New Urbanism and the design industry
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, or related field from an accredited four-year college or university; or a level of education that, together with experience and training demonstrates the required knowledge skills and abilities
- Minimum of three years professional experience in a related field
- Experience with a non-profit a plus, but not required
- Experience with web design and development a plus, but not required
Salary and Benefits
Salary based on experience. Benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; a 401k plan; and generous holiday and paid time off.
Please email a cover letter and resume to CNU’s Deputy Director at email@example.com by March 15, 2017. Position will be open until filled.