Why Join CNU?
As people recognize the shortcomings of conventional growth patterns, New
Urbanism offers a way to create enduring places of diversity and character.
People are sending a clear message: they want vibrant and safe neighborhoods
where it’s possible to walk to stores, work, schools, and places of worship.
They want better housing and transportation choices and enjoyable public spaces.
They want to feel proud of their communities.
New Urbanism turns these dreams into reality by offering new solutions for
our built environment. It makes walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods the building
blocks of towns, cities, and metropolitan regions. It adapts the principles
and techniques of traditional city and town planning to improve today’s
communities. It shows how social responsibility and environmental sensitivity
can be good business.
As a member of the Congress for the New Urbanism, you will be our partner
in this movement. Our respected publications, website, and conferences
will give you the news and resources you need to achieve your goals and advance
your career. You will have unequalled opportunities to work with the top names
in the field to develop a new vision for our built environment.
Learn how to put positive strategies into practice in your community and your
Join us and help build places people love.
Membership Levels & Benefits
Click on levels below to see a full list of benefits. To see at-a-glance membership benefits, click here.
- Welcome packet with member card.
- CNU Monthly Review e-update newsletters.
- Chapters: Chapters offer events, networking opportunities, and engaging discussions on local issues.
- Access to CNU Initiatives/Reports/Charter
- Login to your CNU.org account and gain full access to: Congress Webcast Library, Project & Presentation Library, member directory, member profiles and portfolios, an interactive image bank, archives of all CNU publications, job listings, calendar and events page, and more.
- Publication Discounts: discount on book titles from Oxford Press, and Wiley Publishing, and on magazine titles such as Next City (formerly Next American City), Metropolis Magazine, Orion Magazine, and the Journal of Urbanism. Login to your CNU.org account to obtain your discount code(s).
- Free digital subscription to Better! Cities and Towns (formally New Urban News), and discounted rate on print subscription direct from Better! Cities and Towns.
- Discount off annual subscription to transect-centered, online photo database program Placeology. Login to your CNU.org account to obtain your discount code.
- Discount off annual USGBC Membership. Includes a discount for all reference guides, including the LEED-ND reference guide.
- Discounts on national and international annual car sharing memberships at: Autoshare, Toronto, Ontario, Car2Go, Lyft, Uber, Zipcar
- Discounts on annual bike share memberships at: Bay Area Bike Share, San Francisco, CA, Bike Chattanooga, Chattanooga, TN, Bike Share Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Citi Bike, New York City, NY, Coast Bike Share, Tampa Bay, FL, CoGo, Columbus, OH, Divvy, Chicago, IL, Fort Worth Bike Sharing, Fort Worth, TX, Madison B-cycle.
- Congress Registration Discounts.
- Continuing Education Discounts.
- Reduced rate for Charter Awards entries.
- Direct vote for Board Elections
A discounted Urbanist rate is offered to non-profit employees, government workers, and recent (within five years) graduates. The rate is $125/year.
Customized membership level for municipalities offers direct access to advanced trainings and to real-time technical expertise from some of the best thinkers and doers in design and planning. Accelerate learning curves and elevate conversations about managing growth and change in your region. For more information, click here.
- Customized annual training on a range of subjects including CNU-A, Highways to Boulevards,Context-Sensitive Solutions, and more. Select the training that best meets your needs as conversations build and staff expertise evolves. Trainings can accommodate 15-50 participants.
- Ten CNU Urbanist memberships and all the associated benefits, including a subscription to Better Cities & Towns, discounts on bikeshare programs like Divvy and Citi Bike, 40% off selected titles from Wiley Inc., and much more.
- Five 4-day registrations to CNU’s annual Congress, the nation’s premier venue for new urbanist networking, collaboration and education.
- Five Congress 202 session tickets, advanced, hands-on training sessions from experts in the field.
- A $75 discount per CNU-A exam for an unlimited number of exam takers.