- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Salary: $61,403.00 - $85,964.00 Annually
Under general direction, performs a full range of professional, technical, and complex planning work in the Planning and Development Services Department involving administration, data research and analysis, land use planning, neighborhood planning, transportation planning, comprehensive planning, and project management for the City of New Braunfels. The emphasis of this position is both current and long-range planning including preparation and presentation of reports, drafting standards, ordinances, and policies to implement the Comprehensive Plan, developing short and long-range plans, conducting neighborhood and stakeholder meetings, and assisting the public. May administer/manage a board or commission and may exercise direct supervision over assigned staff.
Primary Duties and Responsbilities
- Conducts/Leads complex planning projects, plans and studies, coordinating with multiple divisions and departments as needed.
- Plans, organizes and conducts neighborhood, community and stakeholder meetings.
- Coordinates training and outreach programs for community groups, property owners, committees, staff and volunteers.
- May be assigned to administer and manage a board or commission. This would entail providing commissioner orientation and training, meeting management, technical assistance, and application processing; provides technical support to boards, commissions and City Council.
- Researches and gathers data on population, demographics, housing, land ownership, land use, long range planning, transportation, historic resources, environmental and economic studies; analyzes, interprets and arranges data; formulates recommendations; prepares reports, white papers, studies, plans, and surveys; delivers presentations.
- Provides technical and professional planning services to internal and external customers to achieve community goals outlined in the Comprehensive Plan.
- Prepares and recommends code amendments and interpretations; coordinates review and adoption processes, ensuring compliance with local ordinances, city charter, state statutes and Federal law.
- Conducts updates to and tracks implementation of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Leads special assignments, projects, surveys, long range plans, or programs; will include guiding teams.
- Works with and assists department leadership and City Management as assigned.
- Evaluates and provides guidance on development application processing, project designs, plans, technical documents, and reviewing or overseeing consultant reviews for conformance and compliance with City codes, project specifications, plans, agreements, regional protocols, and conditions of approval.
- Provides case management services for the more complex applications and special projects; serves as a role model to planners and assistant planners in best practices for case management.
- Develops maps and other graphics to illustrate land use plans and planning concepts.
- Administratively oversee consultant performance.
- Develops cooperative professional relationships with developers, realtors, contractors, state agencies, professional associations, neighborhood groups, and the general public.
- May be assigned to supervise staff or a team: includes training and coaching staff; developing staff skills and conducting performance evaluations; working with staff to correct any performance deficiencies; meeting regularly with staff to disseminate department information, and to discuss and resolve technical issues.
- Performs other duties and fulfills responsibilities as assigned or required.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Urban, Community or Regional Planning, Urban Studies/Affairs, Geography, Business, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Public Administration, or related field; AND three (3) years increasingly responsible experience in city planning, development services, public administration, and/or historic preservation; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s Degree in Urban/Community Planning or a related field is preferred.
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Professional certification by American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) and/or Congress for New Urbanism (CNU) is preferred.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofnewbraunfels/jobs/3954980/senior-planner