- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Austin, TX
The Development Services Department (DSD) assists homeowners, business owners, and contractors when they build, demolish, remodel or perform any type of construction to ensure compliance with applicable city and building codes.
DSD is seeking a Planning Officer to join the Land Use Review Team. The primary responsibility will be supervising two Senior/III Planners, acting as a point of contact for high-profile cases, and reviewing commercial site plans for compliance with the Land Development Code and relevant ordinances. This position works closely with other City departments, applicants, the public, and elected and appointed officials.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Develops and implements short and long range plans, programs, and personnel.
- Determines goals, objectives, and resource requirements for activities.
- Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practice, policy and procedure.
- Develops and implements the use of program evaluation tools, analyze the data, and prepare evaluation reports.
- Conducts needs assessments; research and monitor programs and services to identify gaps.
- Prepares, presents, and monitors budget, ensures program’s fiscal administration is in accordance with standards of accounting for voluntary non-profit organizations and agencies.
- Prepares and presents complete, accurate, and timely financial reports to board and funding sources.
- Prepares narrative material for grant proposals, annual reports, and other documentation.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Planning, Geography, Social Science, Landscape Architecture, or in a field related to the job, plus seven (7) years of related experience in planning, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
- Licenses or Certifications: Valid Texas Class C Drivers License
- Experience working in a deadline-focused environment while balancing multiple projects, changing priorities, and additional responsibilities.
- A thorough knowledge of the City of Austin’s Land Development Code, Neighborhood Plans, and Transit-Oriented Development documents. Familiarity with specific types of review, like transit-oriented developments, zoning overlays, or affordable housing.
- Experience training on code interpretation and reviews.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of and the ability to clearly explain city practices, policies, and procedures related to permitting and land development.
- The ability to provide technical planning assistance to the general public, design professionals, and elected officials and make decisions affecting high-profile projects.
- Experience reviewing preliminary site plans and preparing comments.
- Accreditation with the American Institute of Certified Planners, The Congress for the New Urbanism, or similar is preferred but not required.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/104172