- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Asheville, NC
Urban Planner I
We invite you to apply to join our team as a Urban Planner I within the Planning & Urban Design Team. The purpose of this position is to perform professional and technical planning and research work. Provides information and assists the general public with various forms and applications pertaining to proper land use and zoning.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, Hybrid Work options are available.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports mid- and senior level staff in long-range planning efforts by developing, implementing and tracking long-range plans, the City’s comprehensive plan, master plans, small area/neighborhood plans, corridors studies, environmental studies, zoning text and map amendments, subdivision regulations, design standards and other similar documents and regulatory controls.
- Performs administrative functions including preparing staff reports, performing research and compiling data to assist with long range planning projects.
- Develops and edits planning publications, zoning codes and related documents.
- Updates website with commission agendas, minutes, notices and other information as necessary. Deletes old information and checks functionality periodically.
- Assists with development of GIS mapping and analysis.
- Advises general public, developers, city staff and design professionals in relation to Unified Development Ordinance (zoning and subdivision) and development regulations, standards and other requirements.
- Performs site inspections as necessary.
- Provides customer service for Planning and Urban Design and related functions.
- Performs site plan and design review for compliance with Unified Development Ordinance requirements, historic standards, design guidelines and other City technical documents and adopted plans.
- Prepares comment letters to design professionals and approves compliant development plans.
- Supports community engagement efforts as part of the planning process.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Urban Design, Public Affairs/Policy, Geography, Transportation Planning, Landscape Architecture or a related field, with at least one (1) year of experience in urban planning, urban design or a similar area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Applicants with equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
Knowledge and Skills
Knowledge: Advanced knowledge of procedures and practices to analyze and resolve unusual or difficult problems.
- Ability to process and use complicated workplace data and graphics; summarize, compare and identify trends between and among detailed forms, tables, graphs, diagrams, maps' etc. Read and understand basic workplace data, such as simple forms, tables, graphs, schedules, etc.
- Ability to do advanced research on organizational policies and procedures, best practices and innovative techniques.
- Ability to compile data into a formal report or recommendation shared with others and often verbally presented.
- Ability to think creatively in all areas for the purpose of increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written form.
- Ability to research program documents and narrative materials, and develop reports from information gathered.
- Ability to analyze situations to pinpoint problems and assist with solving problems or identifying sources of obstacles.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines and to apply this understanding to tasks
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ashevillenc/jobs/3719274/urban-planner-i