- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Wichita, KS
Senior Planner – Advanced Plans
Salary: $52,553.00 - $93,438.00 Annually
The Wichita-Sedgwick County Metropolitan Area Planning Department is looking to create an innovative and dynamic team of hardworking, committed individuals with a passion for carrying out community goals. The Planning Department is pleased to announce an opportunity for the position of Advanced Plans Division, Associate Planner / Senior Planner.
This is a key position, responsible for working with community partners and stakeholders to develop civic plans that identify community goals and recommend actions to help achieve them. This position also conducts research; prepares reports; develops draft policy changes with analysis; and provides public presentations in a variety of settings.
In addition to working on long-range plans. This position will also process a variety of current planning cases; including but not limited to: administrative adjustments, conditional uses, vacations, and zoning change requests. The amount of current plans case assignments could vary significantly, depending on the volume of applications and staffing levels.
The Metropolitan Area Planning Department (MAPD) is a consolidated City-County Department, providing professional planning services to both local governments. The Department has an annual budget of approximately $1.7 million; 17 positions; and four divisions. Applicants are encouraged to review the department webpage at www.wichita.gov/planning for more information about the department and projects.
Examples of Work Performed
- Manages planning processes – including the preparation of neighborhood, area and corridor plans.
- Meets with and advises applicants, architects, developers, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and the general public regarding City and County planning and development policies and standards.
- Manages and provides analysis of zoning, CUP, PUD, vacation, annexation or platting cases.
- Provides public presentations in a variety of settings.
- Prepares planning research analysis, and staff reports for a variety of audiences – including: advisory boards, elected officials, staff, and members of the public.
- Reviews development proposals and applications for compliance with appropriate regulations and policies; negotiates solutions that balance the community’s values and private property owner concerns.
- Prepares land use control regulations, often based on previous examples.
- Coordinates professional and technical personnel in the gathering of information, data analysis, plans preparation, and resulting policy recommendations.
- Assists citizens with questions and issues regarding processes and programs.
- Meets with neighborhood, community and development groups as part of the planning process.
- Uses GIS software to look up information, assist stakeholders, create maps and analyze data.
- Ability to use and learn proprietary software programs to complete projects.
- Facilitates the implementation of comprehensive plan elements into specific initiatives/projects for public or private action.
- Develops grant applications.
- Monitors, administers and evaluates third party contracts.
- Draft RFQ’s and FRP’s when warranted.
- Participate on local and/or regional boards, representing the Planning Department as needed.
- Writes legal notices, creates property owner notification letters, prepares agendas, and writes minutes for various meetings.
- Completion of work assignments may require the operation of a vehicle.
- The examples of work performed are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- The City of Wichita reserves the right to assign additional duties as needed.
Requirements of Work
- Considerable knowledge of current land use trends and of landmark court cases on planning issues.
- Considerable knowledge of research methods and sources of information relating to metropolitan growth and development.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of metropolitan planning.
- Knowledge of municipal government administration.
- Knowledge of computer keyboards and ability to access, interpret, and record information through use of a video display terminal and electronic keyboard.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lean and reach as needed to read and interpret plans and specifications from a print that may be as large as 36 by 48 inches with information printed as small as twenty characters per inch.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees of other Departments, representatives of outside agencies, City/County officials, and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in oral and written forms.
- Ability to collect site photos, conduct site visits, and hold site meetings on a regular basis.
- Must be able to transport files and materials.
- May require ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas driver's license.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/wichita/jobs/3534706/senior-planner