- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Beaufort, SC
Closing: September 21, 2022
The Senior Planner supervises and participates in advanced, highly complex professional planning activities or studies and community development strategies, projects, or programs. The Senior Planner supervises professional planners and technical personnel in specialized studies concerning the physical, social, or community development. Responsibility includes developing, coordinating, presenting, and maintaining planning programs. A high degree of technical knowledge is required, and work is performed with considerable independence and initiative.
- Administration of the Form Based “Beaufort Code”
- Performs and manages complex and sensitive professional planning projects, research and analysis
- Monitors and ensures compliance with local, state and federal laws
- Oversees specialized planning functions such as large-scale new development proposals and environmental studies
- Provides overall management of division-related planning issues
- Advises the Community Development Director on all planning-related matters
- Advises various councils, boards, commissions and elected officials in planning-related issues
- Serves as liaison, creates staff reports, and performs all necessary functions in support of the Metropolitan Planning Commission, Design Review Board, Historic Review Board, and Zoning Board of Appeals
- Assigns work to staff and ensures appropriate training is provided
- Evaluates operations and activities, recommending improvements and modifications
- Handles sensitive personnel matters
- Assists the Director in the supervision and delegation of tasks to other employees in the Department
- Participates in budget preparation and administration, monitors and controls expenditures
- Attends evening and weekend meetings
- Serves as the Community Development Director in the absence of the Director
- Thorough knowledge of urban planning and development and local government policies and procedures
- Experience with the intent and function of Form Based Codes or Form Based Code Overlay Districts. Thorough knowledge of specialization such as housing, zoning, and land use planning.
- Demonstrated experience with historic districts and historic preservation.
- Experience in the implementation of long range planning documents such as master plans, comprehensive plans, or other studies.
- Research methods and statistical principals related to urban growth and development
- Methods and techniques of effective technical report preparation and presentation
- Pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations including recent changes
- Principles and practices of supervision, training and personnel management
- Budgeting procedures and techniques
- Recent developments, current literature and sources of information related to municipal planning and administration.
- Knowledge of local government procedures and practices
- Citizen involvement techniques and processes
- Must be innovative detail-oriented, experienced in highly visible/controversial projects
- Capable of managing multiple, high priority assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop good working relationships at various levels and to resolve complaints
- Strong analytical skills to interpret research data for reports and apply mathematic techniques in practical situations
- Reading comprehension to understand technical and legal materials
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Ability to provide effective supervision and staff management
- Ability to manage projects effectively and meet firm deadlines
The Senior Planner will possess a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in planning or a closely related field with at least 5 years of experience in the planning profession and 3-4 years of supervisory experience. An AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners) certification is preferred.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume or CV to Beaufort_CED@mrbgroup.com for consideration by September 21, 2022.