- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: New Bern, NC
Salary: $43,008.00 - $85,079.00
New Bern is a beautiful, progressive, historic, and diverse town of 30,000 on a large river with a vibrant downtown, marinas, nature, and is only 45 minutes from sandy beaches. We have recently adopted some exciting new plans and have begun their implementation, plus we have several other key plans and major developments being formulated. We have a very supportive team and we need you to work on our team with these planning projects. Our cost of living is very affordable and your commute could even be within walking, biking, or kayaking distance to work. New Bern is amazing.
General Definition of Work
Planner III is preferred; However, consideration will be given to candidates who meet the requirements of Planner I or Planner II. Performs work handling or leading a variety of large, complex planning assignments. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Director of Development Services.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks
- Administers City codes and ordinances including the historic preservation program and the City Land Use Ordinance.
- Administers Planning and Zoning and Board of Adjustment.
- Conducts public outreach and public facilitation.
- Serves as staff support for various commissions and boards; prepares and disseminates meeting agendas, related packet information and minutes; maintains records and tracks actions taken at meetings; conducts research on various related topics as requested.
- Performs field inspections to gather data relevant to the development review process and/or to verify that development projects comply with approved plans.
- Schedules and conducts meetings with advisory boards and elected officials.
- Serves as liaison to one or more publicly appointed planning and development boards.
- Receives and responds to inquiries regarding planning and community issues.
- Produces routine geographic information systems maps for initial zoning, rezoning and variance requests and community meeting visual aids; assist with the production of various special project maps.
- Conducts special projects regarding long range planning issues; conducts research on various planning issues; attends public meetings.
- Researches, compiles, and analyzes data related to various studies and projects; completes boundary and annexation surveys; enters a variety of information into computer.
- Attends a substantial number of evening and weekend meetings.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
General knowledge of the various codes to include the zoning, subdivision ordinances, and pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations. Ability to be responsible for a variety of planning tasks including all current planning responsibilities including site plan, subdivision review, landscape plans, and architectural reviews. Knowledge of principles and practices of all aspects of planning with an emphasis on the urban setting; verifiable knowledge, skills and abilities in principles, practices and techniques of land use planning, new urbanism and smart growth principles and GIS; demonstrated ability to conduct planning policy research; demonstrated ability to acquire, maintain and organize planning-related data; ability to communicate both orally and in written form; skill in the use of a variety of office equipment and personal computer; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience: Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, geography, or related field plus 4 to 7 years of experience as a professional planner, AICP and NCCZO certification required.
Special Requirement: Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina is required.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/newbernnc