- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Eastern United States
Salary: $75,000 and $100,000
This is a full-time position located anywhere in the Eastern United States, with preference given to candidates in the Midwest, Southeast, and Mid-Atlantic. Regular travel of up to 25% is required.
Who We Are
ZoneCo is a nationally-recognized, award-winning zoning consultancy with a team of top interdisciplinary professionals. We are proud to have served communities of a variety of types and sizes across 15 states and counting.
We provide a unique focus on the intersection of the disciplines of law + planning to craft custom-tailored, clear, consistent, user-friendly, equitable, and defensible zoning codes that remove the barriers to achieving desired outcomes. Outcomes must include a focus on racial, economic, and environmental equity and justice. Learn more about our Equitable Zoning Initiative.
As consultants primarily to local governments, we provide a unique and invaluable perspective to assist our clients in crafting a zoning ordinance that better achieves a balance between private and public benefits and burdens, which results in more effective zoning regulations. All of our law and planning professionals have public- and private-sector experience.
What You'll Do
At ZoneCo, we know that zoning is the DNA of our cities. We also know that zoning has been done the same way for a long time, with the same voices marginalized and disenfranchised. As a Project Manager, you will be a key leader in our transformative work with local governments across the country to write clear, consistent, user-friendly, equitable, and defensible zoning codes.
As a Project Manager, you will help lead our zoning code rewrite projects and work closely with municipalities and other local governments by analyzing current codes, assessing regulatory consistency with community goals, and evaluating the effectiveness of regulations at achieving a community’s goals. You'll make and communicate zoning code recommendations through presentations to planning commissions and city councils and work closely with clients to draft new regulations and format and revise these drafts. Additionally, you’ll coordinate with partners and other consultants to schedule events and meetings to discuss areas of revision with municipalities and local governments. You’ll also support our internal team by researching and investigating best practices in zoning code and ultimately contributing to our firm’s library of best practices.
- Performing zoning code diagnostic analyses and drafting public-facing reports.
- Analyzing and crafting custom-tailored zoning code language.
- Presenting complex concepts in simple terms both in writing and orally.
- Speaking publicly at hearings and meetings of appointed and elected officials.
- Communicating with clients and managing projects across milestones.
- Preparing presentations, reports, and memos to clients.
- Managing sub-consultants and reviewing their work product. •Leading community engagement sessions.
- Thinking creatively, analytically, and innovatively about zoning and land use issues.
Candidate Qualifications and Experience
You are mission-driven and looking to make an impact by creating clearer, more consistent, more user-friendly, more equitable, and more defensible zoning codes across the country. As a team player who is passionate about making change, you likely have government experience or have worked previously in city planning, urban development, housing advocacy, commercial real estate, or law. You have a strong attention to detail and excellent writing, reading, and communication skills. As a lifelong learner, you’re open and receptive to feedback and are constantly looking for ways in which to revise to make writing stronger and clearer. You have strong project management and organizational skills and are confident and comfortable presenting ideas to diverse audiences in a compelling manner. You love to dig into research and think through problems critically; when you don’t know the answer to something, you look for innovative ways to solve it.
Required Candidate Qualifications and Traits
- Strong commitment to racial, economic, and environmental equity and justice.
- At least five years of experience in urban planning, local government, public policy, political science, environmental science, housing advocacy, commercial real estate, law, or related field.
- Excellent communication skills verbally and in writing, with an ability to develop quick rapport and build trust among diverse stakeholders
- Ability to write and speak compellingly to diverse audiences and to communicate complex ideas clearly
- Strong detail orientation, organization, and ability to keep multiple projects moving forward concurrently
- Versatility and learner mentality; interest in researching best practices and constantly learning from others
- Ability to receive and implement feedback and revisions, especially in writing
How to Apply
To apply, please share your resume and cover letter to Project Manager - ZoneCo - Career Page (applytojob.com), detailing why you’re interested in working for ZoneCo and the experience that equips you for this role. We plan to review candidates throughout June and ideally make an offer by mid-July.