- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Rochester, NY
Community Design Center of Rochester (CDCR) is seeking a dynamic, motivated, and passionate individual to serve as our next Executive Director. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is the chief executive and administrative officer of CDCR. The Executive Director has overall operational and financial responsibility for operations of the organization, including managing programs, external relationships, staff, and volunteers to implement CDCR’s mission and strategic plan.
Leadership and Management
- Provide strategic leadership, vision, and direction for CDCR in program development and implementation, collaboration and partnership, public relations and marketing, advocacy, and management of the day-to- day operations.
- Be the external visible face of the organization and a key guiding force monitoring internal capacity, resources, and skill levels to yield high quality work.
- Manage and maintain strong connections and sound working relationships with staff; board; partnering agencies and organizations; and municipal, institutional, public, and private sector stakeholders; as well as the media.
- Hire, develop, and engage CDCR staff and volunteers.
- Manage day to day operations of the organization including one staff position (currently), multiple volunteers and volunteer committees, a physical office and gallery space, and an annual operating budget of approximately $150,000.
- Ensure continued success and future expansion of the award-winning Reshaping Rochester Lecture Series, currently in its 17th year.
- Oversee the annual Awards program as both a meaningful community recognition event and as an organizational fundraiser.
- Craft and implement direct service programming, such as community engagement facilitation, vision planning, and design charrettes, to support communities and stakeholders to advance community-driven design processes.
- Track, evaluate, and report outcomes of CDCR programs and projects to ensure success from a mission and operational perspective.
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization, building visibility and garnering goodwill.
- Manage existing and cultivate new relationships, both internally and externally to advance the mission of the organization.
- Coordinate advocacy efforts in accordance with the strategic plan.
- Coordinate and implement fundraising efforts and related relationship building activities.
- Use innovative approaches to pursue fundraising opportunities and sponsors.
- Build financial strength through development of diverse resources to support both existing operations and future growth.
- Manage public and private grants to ensure compliance with all funder requirements.
- Passionate about CDCR’s mission and services.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in the field of public administration, business management, planning, architecture, or design- related field strongly preferred.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the architecture, design, or planning field; or in non- profit administration or any related field.
- Must have experience in direct supervision of staff.
- Experience in non-profit administration and managing volunteers strongly preferred.
- Entrepreneurial and self-motivated in production of work, business development, and fundraising.
- Basic technology skills including: Zoom, social media, and computer literacy.
- Helpful but not required: licensed design professional with mapping experience.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to apply@CDCRochester.org with subject line: CDCR Executive Director. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until ideal candidate is found.