- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Asheville, NC
Economic Geospatial Analyst/Planner
Are you a total data geek? Do you enjoy creating visuals to simply explain complex concepts?
Urban3 is looking for planners/GIS analysts to join our Asheville, NC office. Our ideal candidate has interest and/or experience working in or for governments, as well as an ability to communicate clearly through visual language (tables, diagrams, models, and maps). We are looking for candidates at both the entry level, as well as those with a masters degree or with 3+ years professional experience.
You'll be working with our mission-driven staff to help move audiences in communities across the US, both physical and virtual. You’ll be part of uncovering insight, advancing innovation, and communicating in the fields of racial equity, economics, tax policy, urban planning, and city design. You’ll work on projects that provide valuable information to policy makers across the country, move people to action, and influence change on the ground in cities big and small.
Candidates will have at least a bachelor’s degree in economics, real estate finance, geography, urban design, architecture, or landscape architecture. Expert proficiency with GIS, Adobe CS, and Excel is required. Experience with Sketchup, R, and Python will elevate those candidates.
This job is for someone who is extremely curious, able to think at the macro and micro level about urban planning concepts, and who relishes working with challenging GIS-based projects. A candidate might fit in here if they have strong initiative, an open mind, love donuts and urbanism, and want to be part of the mission to democratize data and elevate civic discourse for everyone.
- Working with city/county parcel and assessment data in GIS on a daily basis
- Working directly with city and county government staff, and traveling to meet with clients across the US and Canada for site visits (10% travel)
- Creating and conducting fiscal impact analyses for alternative land use scenarios using GIS and Urban Footprint
- Designing and implementing tools (i.e. spreadsheet or other models to determine revenues, cost/benefit, lifecycle costs) to measure the fiscal and/or economic impact of alternative infrastructure investments (e.g., transportation infrastructure, water infrastructure, economic development incentives, housing programs)
- Research, studies, or policy analyses demonstrating the impacts of smart growth on economic and fiscal issues, and for using smart growth as a tool for achieving fiscal health and spurring economic development;
- Creating compelling data visualizations to reveal the stories behind the economic dynamics of land use patterns, tax policy and development
We are a small, fast-paced and flat office — we look for people who are hyper-curious, engaged, ready for a challenge, and who have a great sense of humor. We believe in fairness, equity and transparency in all data and policy, and we strive to exhibit this in all of our work and in our office.
We work closely with other urban designers, planners, real estate developers, architects and landscape architects. For more information on Urban3, please visit urbanthree.com.
We also collaborate with consultants and supporters of the Strong Towns movement, and collaborate with the Strong Towns organization directly. Please visit strongtowns.org to learn more.
Hybrid/remote will be considered for the right candidate, but ideally you will live in or relocate to Asheville, NC.
How to Apply
Apply online at https://forms.gle/jqvgzwphSo13wxDB7