- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
City Urban Designer
Salary: $74,670 - $112,005
Under general direction, serves as the administrator for the Downtown Master Plan as part of the design team for special development projects, monitors construction design guidelines for compliance; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the activities of employees assigned to the design team. Trains employees; writes and conducts evaluations; recommends, prepares, and/or takes disciplinary action. Counsels employees on job performance.
- Assumes administrative control for the budget.
- Coordinates activities with other departments or outside contractors, as required.
- Reviews construction blueprints, drawings, plans and specifications for compliance with building codes and City’s overall urban design goals.
- Coordinates with other City employees to have plans reviewed for compliance with fire, zoning and other building codes.
- Consults with engineers, architects, and contractors to interpret and explain building codes and City’s urban design plan.
- Organizes and facilitates meetings with developers and community groups to introduce and discuss new development proposals and urban design projects.
- Facilitates resolutions to conflicting views on projects.
- Answers planning, design and zoning questions from citizens, developers, and other agencies.
- Designs and prepares illustrative and graphic presentation materials for public hearings and meetings.
- Designs and prepares illustrative and graphic presentations to provide visual recommendations and/or solutions to a complex set of assumptions related to urban design.
- Retrieves, manipulates, and summarizes information for planning and design reports.
- Researches urban design issues, design guidelines and applicable codes. Prepares reports on findings.
- Consults with City leaders, developers, community groups and others as the technical expert on Urban Design.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Master’s degree with a major in Architecture, Urban Design, Planning or related and five (5) years of related experience is required, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. One (1) year of lead work or supervisor experience is required.
A valid Florida driver’s license is required. For application purposes, a valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within thirty (30) days from date of employment.
To be considered valid (or verified) for position qualification purposes, and consistent with City Hiring Policy 4-5, a High School, GED or equivalent diploma, and all higher education degrees or certifications must have been issued by:
- a public education institution in the State of Florida or any State or Territory of the United States; or
- an institution accredited by an accrediting organization that is recognized by the Florida Department of Education or the U.S. Department of Education; or
- an institution that is accredited by an organization that is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA); or
- an institution whose degree or certification is accepted by institutions identified in either 1., 2., or 3., above, for the purpose of admission to institutions identified in either 1., 2., or 3., above.
International degrees will be evaluated to determine if they satisfy qualification requirements.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit: https://bit.ly/WPBUrbanDesigner.