- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Salary: $79,161.00 - $140,118.00 Annually
The Prince George’s County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a Planning Supervisor to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George’s County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George’s has a population of approximately 900,000 residents and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. Prince George’s County is also home to many attractions such as FedEx Field, National Harbor, and Six Flags Amusement Park.
We are seeking a self-motivated and creative Planning Supervisor with outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills. The qualified candidate must equally possess a consistent track record of acquiring the highest quality design for development projects. The ideal candidate will have a significant background in various design processes, planning, zoning, and development potential. The position also requires extensive experience in project management, oral and written communication, and leadership. If you are interested in working for a dynamic and upbeat team, the Prince George’s County Planning Department invites qualified candidates to apply for our Planning Supervisor position.
Examples of Important Duties
Under general direction, performs difficult planning work that involves the supervision of planning activities for a recognized planning unit. Manages and supervises staff for significant planning programs requiring sophisticated theories and concepts within one or more planning teams. Resolves methodologies, approaches, or alternatives used to achieve program objectives. Troubleshoots and resolves complex and politically critical issues or problems. Performs related administrative and management work for the unit/program. Acts for and represents the Planning Division Chief as requested. Professionally performs the following major duties and responsibilities:
- Leads a team responsible for various planning functions.
- Ensures consistent application of various master plans and applicable requirements of the Prince George’s County Code.
- Performs HR supervisory functions such as assigning work to staff; evaluating staff performance and preparing performance appraisals; recruitment and selection of staff; approving leave requests; recommending training; counseling and discipline; and ensuring adherence to Commission policies and procedures.
- Develops and trains staff in planning policy and procedure.
- Provides technical mentorship on planning methodologies and approaches.
- Recommends changes or improvements to work program.
- Provides experienced counsel to senior management and professional colleagues on planning issues.
- Consults with developers, attorneys, architects, engineers, governmental agencies, and the public about planning and design-related issues.
- Collaborates with other recognized government, academic, and private sector organizations within planning.
- Conducts presentations before the Planning Board, District Council, and Zoning Hearing Examiner.
Other duties may include full participation in interdisciplinary planning teams. The ability to relate land use plans to development review regulations is important. The candidate must possess innovative problem-solving skills; a strong background in urban design, zoning, and subdivision is important. The candidate must also be willing to work in a diverse environment. Qualified candidates will be expected to effectively communicate planning and design principles verbally, graphically, and in writing. A combination of regulatory and private experience is preferred.
- Proven ability to supervise, mentor, counsel, and develop staff.
- Strong analytical, plan review, and communication skills as well as the ability to provide a new approach to planning and zoning.
- Drive to be a highly-motivated team leader.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and exceptional organizational skills.
- Effective leadership and supervisory experience in the fields of architecture, urban planning, regulatory land use principles, and plan review.
- Quality technical report preparation and presentation techniques.
- Familiarity with local government procedures and practices.
- Skill in citizen involvement techniques and processes.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, including Microsoft Office, internet applications, personnel management systems, online meeting platforms, and land use/project management systems.
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively and meet firm dates.
- Experience leading highly visible/controversial projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop good working relationships at various levels and to resolve complaints.
- Strong reading comprehension to understand technical and legal materials.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Geography, Architecture, Parks and Recreation, Transportation, Urban Design, Engineering, Environmental Science, Public Policy, Economics or any related field.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience that includes supervisory or project leadership and coordination experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together totals ten (10) years.
- Valid driver’s license (depending on area of assignment) in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mncppc/jobs/3412419/planning-supervisor-11557-grade-32. Please provide a copy of your resume and cover letter with the submission of your application.