- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: New Bern, NC
Director of Development Services
Salary: $91,590 to $149,063 Annually
The City of New Bern is seeking a proven, motivated, results-driven professional to serve as its next Director of Development Services.
Position and Organizational Profile
The Director of Development Services position is currently vacant and creates an extraordinary career opportunity for an experienced and innovative municipal planning professional who is a strong visionary leader and strategic planner. The new Director will play a critical role in collaborating with other city departments and with partner agencies to ensure success in meeting the city’s planning and zoning goals and objectives. The Director must be a forward thinking professional and an exceptional project manager.
The City, operating with an annual budget of approximately $138 million, is governed by the Mayor and 6-member Board of Aldermen elected for four (4) year terms. The Director of Development Services is appointed by and serves under the general supervision of the City Manager. The Director of Development Services serves as a member of the Management Team which is comprised of the City Manager and eight Department Heads. The Director of Development Services performs complex professional and administrative work directing activities of the Development Services Department, which includes Community and Economic Development, Building Inspections, Planning and Zoning. Supervision is exercised over a department staff of 20 full time employees. The Department’s annual operating budget totals approximately $2 million.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leads the City’s current and long range master planning efforts, including plan development and implementation.
- Plans, updates, organizes, and directs the administration of the City’s land use plans and regulations, construction and building codes, planning functions, community and economic development and hazard mitigation and resiliency programs, and historic preservation.
- Facilitates the development and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies, and ordinances.
- Confers with developers, other agencies, and the public in acquiring information and coordinating planning and zoning matters.
- Prepares grant applications and pursues additional sources of funding for department programs.
- Prepares comprehensive written reports; prepares annual reports for State and Federal agencies.
- Represents the City and works with a variety of committees and boards including transportation, community and economic development, Planning and Zoning, Board of Adjustment, Historic Preservation, hazard mitigation; and more.
- Prepares the department’s annual operating and capital improvement budgets, monitors expenditures.
- Analyzes and streamlines processes and practices to provide effective customer service.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with a demonstrated record of effectiveness in leadership and management in municipal organizations. The ideal candidate will also be a decisive customer service oriented leader who is insightful, analytical, results oriented, and able to lead by example with a high degree of integrity and ethical standards. The successful candidate will be an effective and collaborative team builder with the ability to provide leadership that will develop, inspire, motivate, and empower staff to achieve the City’s established strategic goals and objectives. He/she must possess exceptional written and oral communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate complex and technical information to a variety of audiences. The successful candidate must be visible, accessible, responsive, and able to foster productive working relationships with city officials, other government agency officials, associates, and the public.
Minimum requirements include a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, regional planning, public or business administration or related field and at least 7 - 10 years of planning experience, with considerable management/supervisory experience. Experience with development and/or redevelopment, master planning, and current planning is required.
Preferred qualifications include a master’s degree in planning, architecture, public administration, or a related field and an American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification. Experience with historic districts, updating comprehensive plan and zoning codes are also preferred. Selected candidate is encouraged to reside within the city. He/she must reside within eight (8) miles (measured on a straight line basis) of New Bern City Hall and will have six (6) months to comply with the residency requirement.
How to Apply
If interested, qualified candidates may apply by visiting City of New Bern Career Opportunities. Please attach your letter of interest and resume to your completed application. The position is open until filled. However, initial review of resumes will take place in early April 2022. The selection process will occur in May 2022 with an anticipated start date of June 2022. The City of New Bern is firmly committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity for all.