- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Clearwater, FL
Planner OR Senior Planner
Salary: Planner: $47,238 - $51,961/Senior Planner: $60,289 - $66,317
Join Our Bright & Beautiful Team!
As a Planner or Senior Planner for the city of Clearwater, your education and experience will be developed in a fast-paced work environment where business is thriving and no day is the same.
Want to join a work environment that promotes creativity, confidence, personal/professional development, equity, and inclusion? Clearwater is the place to be.
Just graduated? Our entry-level planners hit the ground running using their education and skills essential to the city’s day-to-day business operations. The work is diverse, and you will become seasoned in all facets of planning.
Where will you work? Just a few minutes drive from beautiful Clearwater Beach, steps from a restaurant row of great eateries in Downtown Clearwater, and with a diverse workforce that is dedicated to getting the job done for the citizens of Clearwater.
Paid Professional Development: Join professional organizations and travel for conferences paid by the city.
Benefits: Healthcare fully paid by the city, with access to the city’s employee Health Center. Three weeks paid vacation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides advanced professional planning work in a variety of capacities related to the use of land in the City including development review, site plan approval, signage, landscape review, zoning, land use, subdivision and major development permitting, comprehensive planning.
- Provides extensive and professional customer service for the general public, including assistance to walk-in customers, other City departments, elected officials and outside professionals; communicates the City's land development regulations clearly and concisely; participates in a variety of meetings and public hearings.
- Reviews plans and provides feedback and expertise on planning; assists applicants, owners, and others through permitting and applications; disseminates information and communicates extensively through the process of planning and development.
- Conducts research and analysis and prepares reports on complex planning issues.
- Makes recommendations for potential changes to the Community Development Code or other governing plans and prepares amendments as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Development Review Planner:
- Reviews and analyzes development applications and projects (site plans, architectural elevations, civil and landscape plans) for consistency with all applicable adopted plans, codes and standards; conducts field studies; identifies any issues for discussion and prepares planning comments as part of Development Review Committee
- Conducts zoning reviews and provides follow up on building permits and business tax receipts.
Development Review Senior Planner:
- Processes, reviews and provides follow up on a wide variety of permits and development applications, including residential dwellings, hotels, and other site plan review applications, business tax receipts, temporary uses, docks, fences, landscape plans, signs, plats, and lot splits.
- Independently reviews and analyzes planning applications and projects for consistency with all applicable adopted plans, codes and standards; identifies any issues and utilizes independent judgment to make recommendations regarding approval and potential resolutions.
- Prepares staff reports and presents expert testimony for quasi-judicial hearings.
Licenses, Certifications, and Equipment: A valid State driver's license is required. AICP certification, CNU accreditation, PTP (Transportation Planner), and/or similar is preferred, but not required.
Education and Experience:
Planner: Bachelor’s Degree in Urban, City or Regional Planning, Engineering, Architecture, or related field AND one (1) year of experience in development services or planning at the local government level; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
Senior Planner: Master's Degree in Urban, City or Regional Planning, Engineering, Architecture, or related field AND five (5) years of experience in development services, planning, or related field; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://www.myclearwater.com