- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Berkeley, CA
Opticos Design, Inc. is a small, award-winning urban design and architecture firm in Downtown Berkeley, CA near the BART Station and along a Bike Boulevard. Our team of thought leaders is celebrating over 20 years of finding solutions to the most challenging housing and community issues of our time. We created the international Missing Middle Housing movement in 2010, and our recent works includes Culdesac Tempe, the largest car-free community in the United States, and Prairie Queen, the country’s first Missing Middle Neighborhood. Our people and work have been featured in many high-profile publications such as the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Curbed, and Fast Company. As creatives, we think big to have the greatest impact on the built environment—all while having fun. Together, we have regular desk crits, all staff project sharing, book clubs, game nights, and picnics.
We are a founding B Corporation, which means we have pledged to run our firm with a focus on social, environmental, and economic responsibility. And we work hard to practice what we preach – shopping locally, committing to being anti-racist and inclusive in all that we do, living small, and biking, walking, or taking transit to work.
We are looking for a team member to help us continue to design and deliver innovative, 21st Century housing choices in communities across the country as thought leaders in the Missing Middle Housing movement. You will work on projects from conceptual site planning and architectural design through full architectural documents. You might create a hand-drawn sketch on trace and/or a quick 3D model in SketchUp to clearly convey an idea or set of ideas in this process. The projects will range in size from an acre or less up to 40 plus acres. Innovation in housing type design is a core part of every project, and we want someone who is self-motivated and excited to explore housing types that meet the needs of modern living. You will either work with a small team or independently on the creation of the deliverables and management of the project or project components. Once site planning is completed, this person will need to be able to take the housing type designs through to full construction documents with limited oversight.
- Job Captain: Assist Project Manager with internal production management to plan, organize, direct and control projects from initial scope, schedule, and budget development through conceptual design to project delivery, to provide well-designed, high-quality, timely and profitable results
- Assemble CDs for housing using type V construction
- Coordinate design with IBC and IRC building codes
- Manage small projects
- Assist in designing and producing master plan and architectural design documents using Opticos’ standards and templates and contribute to the continuing development of these templates and standards
- Generate compelling presentation drawings and diagrams that clearly illustrate design concepts in the Opticos style, via hand drawing and computer rendering
- Provide direction for other internal team members on master planning and architecture projects
- Assist with research and development projects
- Provide outstanding service and responsiveness to clients and vendors
- Maintain accurate timesheets with daily record of time spent by project
Qualifications and Experience
- Professional-level degree in Architecture and 4+ years’ related experience, including assembling permit and construction documents
- Strong design skills in architecture
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator; SketchUp; Vectorworks or Revit; Microsoft Word and Excel. Digital rendering skills a plus but not required
- Solid problem solving, design, and time management skills. Able to interpret and apply complex policies and procedures in a timely fashion
- Experience in document writing and editing
- Solid interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills; articulate and professional, yet service- oriented and approachable
- Self-motivated with stellar work ethic and a demonstrated penchant for ownership and leadership getting the job done
- Great attitude and sense of humor
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume, and portfolio to email@example.com. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity and how you can help us make an impact.