- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Pensacola, FL
Urban Design Specialist
Salary: $25.26-$36.04 hourly
Nature of Work
This is highly professional and administrative work serving as the Urban Design Specialist for the Community Redevelopment Agency Division for the City of Pensacola. An employee of this class is responsible for providing architectural and urban design recommendations to maximize consistency of new development with the goals, objectives and laws defined by the City’s Land Development Code and Comprehensive Plan. The employee will provide design review and development assistance to the public and development community in the application of the City’s Land Development Code.
Examples of Work
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and manages the implementation of the Community Redevelopment Area Urban Design Overlay District Standards and/or other aesthetic review and historic preservation district regulations independently or in coordination with consultants, contractors, outside agencies, the private sector and other City departments and staff, as applicable and assigned.
- Provides urban design and architectural support orally and through technical sketch and/or conceptual illustration by hand or utilizing appropriate design programs, such as In-Design, to convey design recommendations and intended outcomes.
- Reviews development plans for completeness and consistency with the Land Development Code and recommends creative and cost-considerate design solutions for construction, development, and redevelopment projects.
- Provides direct interface with industry professionals, developers, the CRA office, City departments, and community stakeholders.
- Formulates and recommends policies, procedures, guidelines, and/or regulations independently or in consultation with other City departments and staff, outside agencies and/or consultants.
- Coordinates and leads workshops, and training sessions with builders, developers and other industry professionals and community stakeholders.
- Prepares technical and administrative reports and delivers formal presentations to development stakeholders, the community, appointed City boards, the CRA, the City Council and other entities, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CRA Administrator.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and practices of architectural and urban design including traditional neighborhood development and architectural vernacular, historic preservation, community development, form-based coding, building massing and community transects and context classification.
- Knowledge of best practices, principles, methods and theories related to urban community development and design, as may include building and site design, landscape and open space design, including stormwater, transportation and land development planning and complete streets.
- Demonstrated design skills, including the ability to convey ideas and recommendations simply on trace paper and through sketch renderings, advanced design production methods and presentations.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, to diverse audiences.
Minimum Preparation for Work
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in urban design, landscape architecture, architecture, urban planning or closely related field. Master's degree and AICP Certification preferred.
- Three (3) years of related work experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of an urban designer. Strong 3D spatial design/urban design capabilities and graphic representation techniques. A body of work that demonstrates considerable experience in conceiving and executing design plans and projects. (Portfolio of representative work projects required)
- Or Combination of education, training, and/or work experience equal to or higher than the requirements listed above as determined by Human Resources.
Necessary Special Requirements
- Possession of an appropriate driver license for equipment operated and any license, training or certification required by law or regulation to complete assigned tasks.
- Proficiency in specialized software used in urban design, such as Sketch Up, Adobe Creative Suite (including but not limited to Photoshop, Illustrator and inDesign), AutoCAD, 3D Modeling/Rendering Software (ESRI CityEngine, CommunityViz, Rhino, 3Dmax or other).
- Competence in free hand sketches
How to Apply
Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pensacola/jobs/3237600/urban-design-specialist