- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Bellevue, WA
Senior Planner/Urban Designer
Salary: $82,007.40 - $113,161.44 Annually
The City of Bellevue is rapidly maturing into a tech-centric, diverse, metropolitan city within the Central Puget Sound Region. The Community Development Department is looking to fill the Senior Planner/Urban Designer position in the Strategic Planning Team with a creative, forward-thinking individual to help us shape and catalyze positive change. The department’s vision is to secure Bellevue’s future as a livable, inspiring, vibrant and equitable community.
The Strategic Planning Team works on a range of planning initiatives, including station area plans, urban infill development, and major placemaking features such as the Bellevue Grand Connection. The Senior Planner/Urban Designer plays a primary role in orchestrating the planning and urban design aspects of the above, with the following broad set of responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide project management expertise for large, complex initiatives.
- Help strategize spatial configurations that further the city’s development aspirations.
- Play a prominent role in representing design-based ideas for easy comprehension by city council, board and commissions, other departments, and stakeholders.
- Help connect policy, regulation and economic development realities and aspirations in compatible and appropriate design documentation.
- Provide visual translations of the implications of development concepts.
- Identify existing typologies and generate new or hybrid prototypes for housing, retail and commercial structures, and configurations.
- Translate and test various economic constraints, policies and regulations in the form of 3D renderings together with coordinated feasibility evaluations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to develop, manage, and monitor work programs for complex and/or controversial projects with a focus on addressing City Council priorities.
- Skilled in conducting complex technical work involving transit-oriented development, placemaking, urban design, site planning, and spatial analysis.
- Understanding of how buildings, streets, parks and other cityscape components work individually and together (i.e. assembled).
- Ability to model designs and concepts (in 2 and 3D) using a variety of design programs (i.e. AutoCAD, Adobe CS, Rhino and SketchUp) is required.
- Working knowledge of GIS and ArcGIS Hub. Also, knowledge of ESRI CityEngine, CityCAD along with some Python, SQL, and Power BI skills would be a plus.
- Expert knowledge of all the phases of project management,
- Ability to administer and maintain budgets, agreements and contracts with public agencies and consultants.
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, elected and appointed officials, and other stakeholders in areas of expertise.
- Ability to build partnerships with constituencies on controversial complex planning and design issues and, ensuring a comprehensive evaluation of potential project impacts.
- Ability to prepare planning reports with supporting data and develop recommendations for various land use and urban development proposals.
Education and Experience Requirement
- Graduation from an accredited four-year university in urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, environmental studies, urban geography, or closely related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible experience as an urban designer, planner, or design professional. This experience could be in any order and in any allied discipline.
- Alternatively, a clear equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required mix of knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Certification as a member of the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred.
How to Apply
Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/bellevuewa/jobs/3170907/senior-planner-urban-designer