- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Mesa, AZ
GIS (Geographic Information System) Specialist
Salary: $59,685.89 - $88,566.40 Annually
The current vacancies are in the Development Services Department and Transportation Department; however, this recruitment will be used to establish a Citywide list to fill possible future vacancies in other departments.
A GIS (Geographic Information System) Specialist creates, develops, and maintains GIS databases, shape/coverage/layer data, and linkages to various databases. A GIS Specialist may be assigned to a department or unit, and coordinates GIS data or information that may have specific department/unit or Citywide implications. Duties include entering data into the GIS, providing GIS support to an assigned area, graphic and data quality assurance/quality control, creating reports, and producing maps. The GIS Specialist performs programming and analytical project responsibilities, which include: planning, developing, analyzing, and performing quality control functions to geographic related systems in support of the City’s GIS; and may provide guidance and instruction to other City employees on GIS applications and practices. By assignment, this class may supervise or mentor GIS Technician classes. This class performs related duties as required.
This class is distinguished from the GIS Technician classes by the responsibility of developing and performing complex spatial analyses and multiple database queries, and performing full supervisory duties (by assignment) of GIS Technician classes. This class is supervised by a GIS Supervisor, IT Engineer II, Management Assistant II, Information Systems Coordinator, or administrative supervisor, depending on assignment. Depending on assignment, this class may be required to be available on a 24- hour basis to cover emergency situations. This class is FLSA exempt-administrative. Please refer to the link below for the full job description and additional information regarding assignments, preferred qualifications, and essential functions.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Geography, Planning, Engineering, Computer Science, or closely related field.
- Good (1 - 3 years) experience working with GIS or a closely related field.
- A minimum of one-year experience in any of the following: ESRI technologies (ArcGIS Desktop and extensions, ArcGIS Server, ArcObjects), Intergraph, Microstation, personal geodatabases, SharePoint, or AutoCAD.
- Experience in using Microsoft Windows 10 or higher.
Substance Abuse Testing: Due to the safety and/or security sensitive nature of this classification, individuals shall be subject to pre-employment or pre-placement alcohol, drug and/or controlled substance testing as outlined in City policy and procedures.
- Must possess a valid Class D Arizona Driver’s License by hire date (by assignment).
- Because of the confidential, sensitive nature of Public Safety assignments involving information systems, successful completion of an extensive background investigation and polygraph may be required (by assignment).
- Experience in using Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, and MSSQL is highly desirable.
- Experience in Visual Studio, C#, CityWorks, MapObjects, ArcFM, ArcSDE, Model Builder, Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, 3D Analyst, Python, Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), or Data Interoperability is desirable.
How to Apply
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applicants are encouraged to apply by 8/05/2021. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mesaaz/jobs/3147460/gis-geographic-information-system- specialist?page=3&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs