- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Charleston, SC
Director of Transportation
About the Position
As the new Director of Transportation, you will serve under the general direction of the Mayor and be responsible for formulating plans, studies, and policies pertaining to the City’s transportation network. Your goal will be to facilitate the safe and efficient movement of people, goods and information along public rights-of-way to improve the City’s environmental quality, economic competitiveness and quality of life for its citizens. In this position, you will:
- Serve as the expert technical advisor for development of neighborhood, corridor and other transportation plans with emphasis on a comprehensive multi-modal approach.
- Ensure that such plans provide a safe, efficient, and equitable transportation system for City citizens and other users, regardless of mode.
- Develop multi-modal plans and projects for the preservation and expansion of citywide transportation systems and facilities to improve quality of life for City citizens as well as providing a guide for investment of City, State, and Federal resources.
- Serve as the Mayor’s representative on committees, boards, and commissions.
- Develop scopes of work for various types of transportation studies including strategic, livability, and corridor to assess and improve transportation services to include more choices and network reliability.
- Manage consultant studies from contracting to project completion, designed to improve safe transportation systems.
- Assess the operational effectiveness of transportation systems relative to capacity, design, level-of-service, and safety.
- Plan and design transportation systems with safety and mode choice in mind.
- Develop alternatives for the safe and efficient use of public transportation within the City.
- Prepare technical position papers and reports intended to increase the reliability, efficiency and safety of the City’s transportation system.
- Facilitate community meetings and deliver presentations to diverse audiences to explain transportation projects and programs.
- Supervise the design and plan preparation of transportation improvement projects and traffic engineering systems, preparing specifications and cost estimates.
- Manage and supervise the implementation of capital improvement projects related to transportation improvements and safety projects.
- Coordinate with Department personnel, other City departments, and regional and national agencies on safety, operational, construction, and public space issues to ensure mutual commitment to basic policy regarding land use and transportation systems compatibility.
- Prepare the annual budget, directing and monitoring the expenditure of the department funds and maintaining appropriate records.
- Serve as the City’s primary spokesperson for traffic, transportation and parking issues.
About the Candidate
The candidate for Director of Transportation for the City of Charleston should be organized, innovative and committed to continuing the tradition of excellence, equity, and engagement. You should be a visionary person, an effective leader, manager, and people person.
The optimal candidate should have a Master’s degree and eight years of related experience, senior-level leadership and experience directing a large complex organization.
Preferred Characteristics, Knowledge and Skills
You should possess and be able to demonstrate the following:
- Experience in developing transportation plans that include development of scopes of work, data collection, analysis components, layout of alternatives, knowledge in the assessment of the findings, and strong data backed reasoning for alternatives that meets the mission and goals of City.
- Experience in the ability to direct and supervise important, complex and difficult projects.
- Experience implementing and evaluating the effectiveness of the transportation systems, guidelines, policies and ordinances.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to transportation, public bid, construction and contracts.
- Knowledge of fiscal control, public accounting procedures and public finance as related to governmental entities.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs of diverse communities.
- Strong leadership abilities and strong project management skills.
- Strong ability to cultivate partnerships and collaborative opportunities to solve problems and create community impact.
You should have the ability to:
- Effectively communicate technical information pertaining to transportation planning studies, projects, and program analyses.
- Facilitate meetings and coordination of programs.
- Deal with a variety of abstract concepts and variables.
- Respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Develop and analyze budgets, complex spreadsheets, financial analyses, etc.
- Make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on various topics.
- Apply concepts of advanced algebra, statistics and geometry to practical and abstract situations.
- Be self-directed and able to work independently.
- Be a flexible and reliable team player.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted via the City of Charleston’s online applicant system at www.charleston-sc.gov/employment under the Director of Transportation posting. Please submit your application along with a resume/CV and cover letter.