- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Rockville, MD
Development Review Supervisor
Salary: $79,812.00 - $127,698.00 annually
The Development Review Section within the Planning and Development Services Department provides planning services related to development review and customer service, with a focus on the efficient processing of development applications in accordance with the Rockville Comprehensive Master Plan and the Zoning Ordinance.
The Development Review Supervisor participates in advanced, highly-complex professional planning and development activities through leadership and supervision of staff within the Development Review section.
The Development Review Supervisor oversees a professional staff to ensure that all existing and proposed development is reviewed for compliance with applicable policies and regulations. The work has a major impact on the City and requires thorough knowledge of urban planning and analysis in order to deal with and resolve a variety of unusual, difficult, and challenging issues, both at neighborhood and Citywide levels. The work requires cooperation from, offering explanation to and persuasion of various appointed and elected officials, community groups, interest groups, citizens, etc., relative to the City's mission of providing outstanding planning services for the City. Considerable tact, discretion and persuasion is required in order to serve this mission. The incumbent works under the general managerial direction of the Zoning and Development Manager.
Candidates must demonstrate a deep knowledge base of current urban planning practices based on professional experience and that of peer cities. This role requires the ability to design processes for project implementation and public outreach, and the skillset to synthesize large quantities of information and conceptualize, organize and execute clear public-facing material for easy understanding at the neighborhood, Boards and Commissions and Mayor and Council levels.
A proven ability to build effective interdepartmental relationships as well as strong community partnerships is also vital. Superior communication and coaching skills with experience in staff development and/or mentoring and strategies to work with professional staff of varying abilities and personalities is critical to success in this position.
The ideal candidate possesses the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and characteristics: values and possesses high ethical and professional standards; develops creative and workable solutions using sound judgment within established guidelines; exercises appropriate independent judgment especially with respect to technical problem solving, resource allocations, project prioritization, and project delivery methods; recognizes motivational needs of individuals and is able to establish and promote a positive working environment; outstanding written and oral communication skills; and provides quality customer service in a professional and courteous manner.
The individual in this position should be capable of reviewing and analyzing development proposals, as well as managing on-going processes related to assigned cases. This includes coordinating a Departmental recommendation on each application for consideration. The workload will include all types of applications, such as Project Plans, Site Plans, Special Exceptions and Subdivisions. The candidate must have very good plan review skills and should have an understanding of land use law. The position also requires negotiating solutions and making effective presentations on complex and controversial topics before public groups and in public hearings. Must possess strong oral, written, and visual communication skills; critical thinking skills; innovative problem-solving skills; and the ability to work well with people.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs duties as required and may be responsible for any of the following duties including but not limited to supervising, planning, organizing and developing major planning programs involved in development review consistent with department objectives.
- Prepares reports and makes recommendations on planning programs; makes presentations to government officials and agencies as required.
- Supervises staff who coordinate the review of zoning and land use applications within the department, and among other departments and outside agencies.
- Reviews written reports and recommendations prepared by development review staff on all types of zoning and land use applications.
- Supervises the preparation of oral presentations by development review staff before boards and commissions.
- Attends meetings of civic associations and business groups to discuss current zoning and development issues.
- Provides support to the Mayor and Council and other boards and commissions on zoning and development review matters, as assigned.
- Designs and implements planning programs and studies intended to promote the orderly growth and development of the City.
- Identifies and analyzes problems, develops goals and objectives, and designs programs to meet departmental objectives.
- Assists in the development of new zoning techniques and procedures to facilitate the implementation of the master plan recommendations and customer service objectives.
- Collaborate with the Zoning and Development Manager to effectively lead and manage the review of zoning and development applications, and fill in for the Zoning and Development Manager during absences.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) with major coursework in architecture, civil engineering, geography, long range planning, urban planning or closely related field from an accredited university or college; and seven (7) years of progressively responsible work that includes development review, case management, administration of zoning codes, presentations to boards and commissions and interaction with a variety of stakeholders, and at least 5 years of supervisory or managerial experience is expected.
Membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of urban planning, zoning and development, long range planning and urban design.
- Knowledge of the literature and sources of information available concerning planning matters, and of the techniques and the procedures useful to analyze and report on such subjects.
- Knowledge of zoning and land development controls, ordinances and regulations, and the methods and procedures by which they are enforced.
- Knowledge of the master planning process, including public participation, that results in new elements of the Master Plan.
- Knowledge of the general principles and practices of public administration, public finance, economics, environmental matters and others as applied to urban and regional planning.
- Knowledge of computer applications to planning (word processing, spreadsheets and data bases, geographic information systems).
- Ability to provide information to elected and appointed bodies and other interested parties, and to convey concise and accurate explanations concerning various planning policies, requirements and procedures.
- Ability to make decisions and promote major planning programs recognizing established precedents and practices, and to use resourcefulness and tact in meeting new problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and to deal tactfully with other governmental agencies, developers, engineers and the public in the resolution of difficult and contentious matters.
- Ability to read and understand development and construction plans.
- Reporting and tracking methods for development applications including compliance with conditions of approval.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Manage multiple projects and comply with processing timelines.
- Interpret, explain, and enforce local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Respond tactfully, clearly, concisely, and appropriately to inquiries from the public, press or other agencies on sensitive issues in areas of responsibility.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including City officials and the general public.
How to Apply
Applications may be filed online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/rockville/jobs/3025733/development-review-supervisor