- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Mesa, AZ
Salary: $59,984.69 - $88,566.40 Annually
A Planner II performs professional-level planning work involving research, analysis, and technical assistance on major projects. Employees are expected to perform at a journey-level capacity in the following functional areas: long-range planning, planning and zoning review, design review, subdivision, zoning administration, permit plans review, or historical and cultural resource reviews and preservation.
Responsibilities may vary by assignment and can include conducting preliminary and final plat review; reviewing development proposals for consistency with adopted standards and regulations; providing staff support and reports to various boards, committees, and Council; conducting technical research, analyzing data, evaluating findings, identifying significant issues, determining options, and developing staff recommendations; and conferring with engineers, developers, architects, other City staff, outside agencies, and the general public to acquire information and coordinate planning issues, apply codes, laws, standards, and regulations to ensure applications and development are in compliance with the City’s ordinances and development standards of various units and departments, as well as policy direction from boards and Council.
A Planner II may assist in training new and entry-level staff and/or may be assigned supervisory duties. This class is responsible for performing related duties as required. This class is FLSA exempt-administrative.
All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Planning, Urban Planning, Geography, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, or related field.
- At least two years professional planning experience.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s degree in the same fields of study is preferred.
- Certification and membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners and National and State Planning Associations are preferred.
- Registration as an Architect or Landscape Architect, and knowledge of State Statutes and Planning case law are highly desirable.
- Good (1 - 3 years) experience reviewing development proposals, working with databases and GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and/or ArcView, and experience with group facilitation are also highly desirable.
- Internet and/or web page development is desirable.
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website: http://mesaaz.gov/benefits/
How to Apply
Please refer to the link below for the full job description and additional information regarding assignments, preferred qualifications, and essential functions. http://apps.mesaaz.gov/jobdescriptions/Documents/JobDescriptions/cs4553.pdf
A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications are available and must apply by 7/1/2021. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mesaaz/jobs/3118042/planner- ii?keywords=planner&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs