- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Director of Economic Development
Under general direction of the City Manager, plans, organizes and implements economic development functions from conception to completion, research and creation of equitable economic development strategies, including business retention, business attraction and incentive programs, provides guidance to individuals and companies to establish, relocate, or expand business opportunities within the community; performs a variety of responsible administrative, professional and technical tasks. Implements economic development goals and objectives for the City.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responsible for curating business relationships, recruiting new business, encouraging business expansion, planning and organizing the implementation of economic development projects, economic development activities, and coordinating public services and other related programs.
- Collaborates with various city departments, real estate, and land developers for economic development projects. Uses the Master Plan of the City of Myrtle Beach to establish goals and objectives and ensuring programs, services, and systems support the City’s goals and objectives. Conducts work sessions with the City Leadership Team to provide needed information and obtain policy direction on various issues.
- Works closely with the City of Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce and/or other place making organizations to identify promotional opportunities for business recruitment, business expansion, and retention within the City, and other regional and State economic/business development agencies.
- Represents the City at industry conferences such as the Urban Land Institute to pursue economic investment opportunities, expand the City’s industry networks and its knowledge of best practices for equitable economic growth in comparable cities.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals.
- Oversees budget of department; monitors revenues and expenditures for adherence to established budgetary parameters; prepares and submits financial reports to the City Leadership.
- Develop programs to promote business education, housing, tourism, and job assistance.
- Serves as a resource for the public and the development community, property owners, businesses, community organizations, negotiates and resolves significant and controversial issues related to economic development; responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Makes presentations to City Council, commissions, civic groups, members of the business and development community, and the public on economic development issues.
- Coordinates City of Myrtle Beach economic and business development efforts with those of other adjacent communities, Horry County, and other regional and State economic/business development agencies.
- Meets, confers and provides detailed information to businesses contemplating a relocation or expansion into the City of Myrtle Beach.
- Leads negotiation, preparation, and processing of documents and implementation of such documents as development agreements, owner participation agreements, contracts, resolutions, and requests for proposals/qualifications.
- Initiates community and business marketing strategies; oversees and manages advertising programs; seeks out and assists prospects for business within the City of Myrtle Beach.
- Maintains a liaison with the local business community, various local, state, and federal agencies; works very closely with other City Departments to facilitate economic development opportunities; maintains effective communication with the press and the general public.
- Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, charts, budget documents, agenda items, spreadsheets, presentations, or other documents.
- Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, statistical data, invoices, budget documents, time sheets, job applications, agenda items, project status reports, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, manuals, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
- Communicates with City officials, City employees, vendors, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, resolve problems, or give/receive advice/direction.
- Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable laws/regulations; maintains an awareness of new products, methods, trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
- Operates a personal computer, general office equipment, or other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions, to include the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database, or other system software.
Master’s degree in public administration, economics, real estate development, or business, ten (10) year(s) of progressively responsible experience in local government, business/economic development, real estate development, and/or community service development; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid South Carolina driver’s license.
The successful candidate will be a collaborative professional with the ability to anticipate challenges in advance; a relationship builder who works well in a team environment and is comfortable working across all areas of the organization and the community; has the ability to establish credibility and trust skillfully and quickly among stakeholders; embrace the City’s efforts to provide exceptional customer service for both internal and external customers; and is capable of overseeing multiple projects and effectively translate direction clearly and concisely when delegating to others.
This position includes supervisory and leadership responsibilities of other professional and administrative staff, and cross-organizational project teams. The position will require candidate to demonstrate the ability to lead a department.
In the event of major storms or other emergencies, this position may be subject to any other emergency schedule and temporary assignment necessary to meet the City’s needs.
Has authority to make decisions regarding staff issues, prioritization of projects, and schedule. The position is expected to confer with the City Manager and Assistant City Manager on any business/economic development negotiations.
Data Utilization: Requires the ability to synthesize and integrate data for predicting, anticipating, and planning for future events affecting the organization. Includes determining strategic and tactical decisions at the highest organizational levels of authority and responsibility.
Human Interaction: Requires the ability to function in a director capacity for a major organizational unit requiring significant internal and external interaction.
Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks, creates focus
Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize consulting and advisory data and information, as well as reference, descriptive and/or design data and information as applicable.
Mathematical Aptitude: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may include ability to perform mathematical operations involving basic algebraic principles and formulas, and basic geometric principles and calculations.
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of logical or synthesis functions; to deal with several concrete and abstract variables; and to analyze major problems that require complex planning for interrelated activities that can span one or several work units.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving broader aspects of organizational programs and operations, moderately unstable situations, or the direction, control and planning of an entire program or set of programs.
Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has knowledge and perspective; is future focused; can accurately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans
Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people - inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably
How to Apply
Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/myrtlebeach and follow application instructions.