- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Mesa, AZ
Assistant Planning Director
Salary: $93,058.77 - $137,384.00 Annually
This classification has been designated as a non-classified, non-merit system; at-will position.
The Assistant Planning Director, under the general guidance of the Planning Director, supervises staff and directs and manages the daily activities of the Planning Division in compliance with all applicable guidelines, regulations, laws and policies.
The Assistant Director ensures timely and accurate review and processing of land use and zoning applications, including posting of land use public hearing agendas and reports; assigns projects to staff and acts as a project manager for high profile projects and studies; provides mentoring and professional development for the Planning Division staff, and evaluates their performance; provides high level technical assistance and professional guidance to the development community, City Council, City Management and staff; communicates with the City Council, citizen advisory boards, public forums, City officials, City Teams, other City employees, business owners, developers, as well as other communities, agencies and jurisdictions and the general public in order to effectively inform and advise on development policies, short- and long-range municipal plans, and other aspects of community planning, development, and land use policies; prepares correspondence, detailed analytical documents, staff reports, and technical documents to communicate Division activities to City officials, residents, and the general public; assists with the preparation of the Planning Division’s operational budget; and attends or conducts staff, committee, task force, and other professional meetings to share and exchange information.
The incumbent is expected to provide strong leadership and exercise initiative and considerable professional judgment, discretion, and independence of actions in accomplishing the Planning Division’s objectives and is held responsible for the effectiveness of the Division’s daily operations. The position provides verbal and written direction to the Planning Division staff, as well as in collaboration with other City work groups, which requires a high degree of written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with City management and staff, citizen boards, the public and other work groups within the City. This class performs related work as required.
Work is performed under the general direction of the Planning Director, who reviews work through meetings, reports, and results achieved. Direction may also be received from the Development Services Department Director. This class is FLSA exempt-executive.
All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Public or Business Administration, or a closely related field
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible administrative and supervisory experience in a large multi-functional organization
- Experience including regulatory requirements of the land entitlement process and interpretations and applications of zoning code requirements as they relate to the overall land and infrastructure standards
- A Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning, Architecture, Public or Business Administration, or a closely related field is highly desirable
- Certification by the American Planning Association Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- Must possess a valid Class D Arizona Driver’s License by hire date
- Please refer to the link below for the full job description and additional information regarding assignments, preferred qualifications, and essential functions.
How to Apply
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mesaaz/jobs/2951102/assistant-planning- director?page=1&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website: http://mesaaz.gov/benefits/