- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Support CNU
- Public Square
Location: Missoula, MT
Salary: $30.5981 to $45.6388 DOE
Closing: Applicant screening will begin on April 26, 2021. Applications will continue to be accepted until an adequate applicant pool has been established.
The Transportation Engineer will plan and manage the design, construction, reconstruction, and operation of multi-modal transportation infrastructure within Missoula.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct support in the development and management of the City’s multi-modal, surface transportation projects according to established engineering standards and state or federal construction policy
- Participate in the development and maintenance of transportation policies and procedures
- Assist in producing quality designs, conceptual plans, estimates, and specifications for multi-modal facilities located within the city public right-of-way
- Prepare transportation facility layouts, typical sections, cross-sections, and traffic control plans for all road classifications
- Provide quality assurance review of plans and construction projects, and collect and interpret data to identify issues and opportunities
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of active transportation, multi-modal, and traffic engineering principles and practices in urban environments
- Knowledge of trends and innovation within traffic engineering design and development
- Knowledge of traffic control methods and devices, statistical and research procedures, traffic laws and regulations, and construction means and methods
- Knowledge of compliance standards and design guidelines, including American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO)
- Ability to perform mathematical computations and design engineering projects
- Ability to use engineering instruments and tools, including computers and engineering workstations
- Ability to build, interpret, maintain and read engineering plans, specifications, and technical reports
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse individuals or groups
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering in civil or traffic engineering or related field and four to eight years of progressive engineering experience. Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional Engineer with State of Montana
- Verified acceptable driving record
Must possess or obtain:
- Montana Driver License within 30 days of hire
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) certification desirable
- How many months/years of experience do you have with civil or traffic engineering?
- Explain your experience with traffic engineering, and provide examples.
Duties require the ability to access project sites where hazardous conditions may exist, including, but not limited to, exposure to loud noise, moving equipment, heights up to 45 feet, excavation trenches, traffic, and changing weather conditions.
The City of Missoula is committed to cultivating, fostering, and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees' differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political ideas, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
Required Application Documents
All application documents are required to be considered.
- City of Missoula Application available at www.ci.missoula.mt.us/1726/CivicHR-Jobs-Page
- Cover letter