- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Cary, NC
WithersRavenel is looking for individuals that have a drive for client satisfaction, collaboration and community. Your reward for your commitment? OWNERSHIP. As a 100% employee-owned company, every employee is also an owner—which adds a powerful and unique dimension to our vibrant company culture. Bring your talent and collaborative spirit and join our team of employee owners at WithersRavenel!
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Planner on our Raleigh Design and Planning Team. We are open to remote work but would prefer candidates within a one hour drive of our Raleigh or Cary offices.
The Senior Planner collaborates with the Design and Planning team as well as other market sectors and services within the company to develop and produce high quality deliverables including site due diligence, graphics, and materials. This position provides support to the WR Land Development teams, prepares conceptual designs, advanced development plans, leads entitlement efforts, and other tasks for a wide variety of projects/uses, including residential, commercial, and mixed-use . The Senior Planner also manages projects and leads the success and mentoring of the staff on their team. This position requires regular presentations of projects for re-zonings or other development approvals before local Boards, Councils and Committees.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project, Client, and Team Management
- Track and coordinate resource needs with PM’s and other Departments
- Forecast workload for Team and address gaps or excessive workloads
- Manage critical projects, delegate projects, and engage in design as necessary
- Represent our Company in communications with clients for critical projects
- Prepare critical agreements including scope, schedule, fees, and terms and conditions and communicate to project team members; review and authorize agreements for PM’s; review and approve subconsultant agreements
- Monitor and report the financial performance of all Team projects and proactively address changes in scope, billing processes, schedules, and any settlements
- Implement and monitor Accounting and Department procedures for invoicing and collections for Team and engage in procedure initiatives
- Communicate regularly with supervisor of any significant challenges, deviations from procedures and metrics, or incidents that occurs on Team projects
- Provide direction to and monitoring of the team, utilizing experience to resolve scope, design, and other challenges while also ensuring adherence to all standards, QA/QC processes, and other policies related to project execution and management
Technical and Practice Leadership
- Advocate for the implementation of current and innovative planning strategies, philosophies, techniques, and alternative solutions
- Work directly with clients to advance master plans/small area/corridor plans, planned unit developments, collaborate in the development of site plans, manage the entitlement processes, and implement improvements
- Create master plan documents to include report preparation, site plans, district plans, land use analysis, transportation coordination and design of urban form
- Prepare zoning code analysis, with regulatory test fits, concept diagrams, illustrative graphics
- Advise clients concerning the land development process and lead as appropriate
- Assist internal and consulting project development teams with land use, zoning and concurrency related issues
- Prepare and file future land use amendment, zoning and concurrency applications
- Coordinate with Land Development and Growth Management agencies (local, regional and State) with respect to interpretation and implementation of development regulations with the ultimate goal of securing approval on entitlement applications
- Perform Due Diligence studies for prospective developers and property owners
- Garner support from regulatory bodies and the general public for proposed land development projects and attending neighborhood information forums and public hearings
- Support and lead various private sector planning projects with various policy, regulatory and design projects, including policy and regulatory documents, general plans, housing studies, design guidelines and community outreach
- Lead, advocate, and monitor the use of current technology for design
Personnel and Team Leadership
- Lead, supervise, and monitor all assigned Team Members to achieve the goals and strategies for the Department
- Lead and/or participate in mentoring, career path planning and development (including training plans), performance plans, mentoring, and resource sharing for all Team Members
- Lead, develop, and implement effective communication, performance management, and strategic skills needed to achieve Company, Department, Team, and project goals.
- Foster a positive environment; lead and engage in Company, Department, and Team meetings routinely, team building efforts, and community involvement
Client and Business Development
- Develop, implement, monitor, and participate in existing strategic client development and relationship processes for the Department and Team
- Coordinate the development of marketing collateral
Required qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in, Landscape Architecture, Urban Design, Planning, or equivalent degree/experience.
- 8+ years of experience in urban design, urban planning and/or landscape architecture related to planning and design.
- 3+ years of supervisory experience
- 4+ years of private sector consulting/working in entitlement processes
- Critical thinking skills that incorporate and blend innovative ideas in land use, landscape architecture, urban design, and planning and designing solutions.
- Excellent verbal, written, and graphical/visualization storytelling skills to convey ideas to elected officials, managers, decision-makers, and technical engineering staff. Comfort in speaking to small and large groups.
- Basic understanding of placemaking and community design (building, street, and public space types plus associated principles).
- Demonstrated creative ability, including urban, architectural, and graphic design. Adept at hand drawing and sketching.
- Strong organizational skills, including management of scheduling and resources.
- Presenting to the public, boards, commissions or other organizations.
- Ability to understand and use demographic information, GIS, and other data to make the case for policy, regulation, or ordinance changes.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and balance multiple projects
- Willing to relocate to the Raleigh, NC area
Preferred qualifications include:
- Professional Planner (AICP)
- Familiarity with GIS, Bluebeam, MS Office
How to Apply
Apply online at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/535262