- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Salary: $62,000.00 - $88,000.00 Annually
Full-time; Community Planning & Economic Development.
The City of Kalamazoo Planning department is looking for a person who is excited by a career that helps neighborhoods become empowered, inspired, connected, equitable, and joyful for all who live in and care for them. We have Imagined Kalamazoo and we create impact through implementation. The Neighborhood Activator is the melding of community organizer and strategic planner who can help neighborhoods realize their potential. Working on the ground with residents and neighborhood leaders, as well as facilitating events with City departments, the Activator helps to blend vision with action for real impact throughout the community from budget to construction.
- A Bachelor's degree in urban planning, landscape architecture, urban design, or related field; master's degree preferred.
- Confidence in public speaking before community members and internal staff teams.
- The ability to facilitate community engagement to refine input on the 2025 Master Plan and Neighborhood Plan projects.
- 3-5 years minimum experience in urban planning, involving regular community engagement activities. Project management experience is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite; working knowledge of GIS a plus.
- A willingness to develop new techniques, lead projects in new practice areas, or oversee the use of new tools.
- Understanding of the concepts from Congress of New Urbanism, Smart Growth America, Project for Public Spaces, and other similar best practices
For more details of the job description, examples of duties, other desired qualifications, and to apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/kalamazoomi and look for Neighborhood Activator.