- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: West Fargo, ND
Director of Planning and Zoning
Salary: $107,825.00 Annually
Closing: 3/19/2021 11:59 PM Central
Under administrative direction, the Director of Planning and Zoning provides management and leadership over the development and administration of plans, ordinances and policies related to the maintenance and enhancement of the physical and social development aspects of the City. This position oversees the administration and management of the Planning and Community Development, Code Enforcement, Building Inspections and Geographic Information System (GIS) Divisions.
Examples of Duties
- Directs and supervises the development of plans, studies, policies, ordinances, strategies and maps for the implementation of development programs for the City; coordinates plan prioritization and scheduling, including involving citizen groups, agencies, developers and consultants.
- Directs Community Development efforts of the City to ensure program consistency with the Economic Development Department as well as other departments and agencies.
- Administers the enforcement of plans and ordinances through the review and recommendations on applications, building permit reviews, interpretations of plans and ordinance provisions and ordinance violation complaints.
- Establishes goals and objectives to ensure compliance with the City Commission policy directives and applicable local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Directs and coordinates special projects for the Mayor, Administration, City Commission and Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Directs the activities of subordinate staff, including contract employees; assigns and reviews work; provides guidance and assistance; evaluates performance; initiates discipline, hiring, termination and pay change actions.
- Oversees the administration of the Inspections department. Works with the Inspections Administrator to determine elevated situations with building permits and code compliance throughout the City and within its extraterritorial jurisdiction.
- Represents the Department at the City Commission, Planning and Zoning Commission and other meetings on aspects of City planning and ordinance development, administration, and reporting; represents the City and the Department at legislative hearings and meetings, state and federal agencies, public meetings and conferences.
- Participates in inter-departmental meetings to provide input, recommendations and technical assistance regarding planning, community development, building inspections, code enforcement, GIS activities and other related responsibilities; serves as a liaison to other departments, government agencies and boards to coordinate efforts, share resources and discuss relevant issues.
- Maintains relationships with community organizations, contractors, developers and citizens to exchange information; serves as a resource regarding Department programs, policies and procedures.
- Responds to citizen complaints, issues, and concerns; determines resolutions to meet City goals and policies; maintains positive community relations and outcomes for the City and the Department.
- Prepares and monitors budgets of Planning and Community Development, Code Enforcement, Building Inspections and GIS Divisions for submittal to Administration.
- Works safely, follows safe work practices, and identifies and reports unsafe work conditions.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related field.
- Ten years of experience in urban planning.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable.
- Strong GIS skills for analysis in planning programs and ability to effectively communicate analysis through graphical methods.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with peers, superiors, other City departments, subordinates, vendors, contractors, external government agencies and organizations.
- Knowledge and abilities within Planning, Community Development, Building Codes, and GIS to effectively guide these functions with minimal oversight and provide qualified policy directives.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Valid driver’s license.
- AICP certification.
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related field.
How to Apply
Apply online at www.governmentjobs.com/careers/westfargond/jobs/2997828/director-of-planning-and-zoning