- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Austin, TX
Multimodal Street Designer (GRADUATE ENGINEER A)
Deadline: January 3, 2021
Link to posting: https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/86046
The Austin Transportation Department’s Active Transportation and Street Design Division within the City of Austin has an opening for a full-time multimodal street designer (Graduate Engineer A). The Division focuses on the planning, design and implementation of multimodal transportation facilities. This position will assist in the design and delivery of multimodal street design projects as well as the design review of local, regional, and private development projects, all of which contribute to a better connected, safer and more comfortable multimodal transportation networks.
ATSD is looking for a candidate who has demonstrated an ability to engage with diverse stakeholders and leadership to promote trust, collaboration, and partnership as well as a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Graduate Engineer A will perform the following specific duties for a diverse array of projects:
- Multimodal street design o Network analysis and feasibility studies
- Development review, plan review and peer review
- Managing public processes o Data collection and field work
- Project implementation oversight & review of layout quality in the field
This position will play a key role in the design and development of transit priority projects, protected bicycle lanes and intersections as well as pedestrian friendly geometry such as curb extensions and median islands, with a focus on innovative design in a largely in retrofit environment. The position will also play a key role in reviewing development cases including site plans, Transportation Impact Analyses (TIAs) and other development review cases to support multimodal outcomes.
The ideal candidate will bring the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience and interest in the design of bicycle, pedestrian, and transit facilities and more generally, fully multimodal transportation infrastructure that achieve complete streets policy goals.
- Experience in the development review process and an understanding of Austin’s existing and emerging bicycle, pedestrian, transit networks.
- Familiarity with the state of the practice including the NACTO Transit Street Design Guide, NACTO Urban Street Design Guide, NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide, the AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities, AASHTO Guide for the Planning, Design, and Operation of Pedestrian Facilities, the Texas MUTCD and relevant City of Austin plans and policies such as the Austin Strategic Mobility Plan and the City of Austin Bicycle Plan.
- Excellent team working, problem-solving skills and communication skills, both written and verbal
Minimum qualifications include graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering or in a field related to the job.
To apply and be considered for this position, complete the on-line application and attached a resume and cover letter at www.austincityjobs.org.
Find the posting at this link: https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/86046
Application deadline is January 3, 2021.