- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Nashville, TN
Urban Designer (2-8 Years Experience)
Smith Gee Studio is seeking a passionate urban designer to join our renowned team of smart, creative and fun people. The candidate would assist us with both public and private sector projects including zoning entitlements, design guidelines, site planning, large scale master planning, form-based codes and the like. The ideal candidate will have strong design, drawing, and rendering skills with at least 2-8 years of working experience, with a focus on urban design preferred.
Smith Gee Studio’s collaborative culture is a big reason for our success and the candidate should have the ability to work within a team environment. The candidate should have a fundamental understanding of smart growth principles, traditional neighborhood design, urban development issues, zoning standards, and sustainable design. We pride ourselves in the ability to design plans that are realistic and take into account building systems, building codes, local codes, policies, and development standards. The ideal candidate will share our enthusiasm and commitment to high quality place-making/urban design, community engagement, sustainable design, and will be skilled at quickly adapting to the shifting needs of our clients.
- Design concept master plans for large- and small-scale projects
- Prepare zoning entitlement applications and related graphics
- Prepare designs and deliverables within project budgets and goals
- Craft and manage public outreach processes and represent the organization in professional and public forums
- Build and maintain relationships with governmental and quasi-governmental entities; real estate and business groups; civic & community organizations; cultural and professional organizations; and advocacy groups
- Learn Metro Nashville’s and other local codes and standards
- Other duties, projects, and tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Architecture, Community/Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, or a closely related field; advanced degree a plus
- Anticipated experience level as an urban designer ranges from 2-8 years (office experience preferred)
- Ability to communicate design ideas and perform simple site planning and massing tasks
- Proficient design and rendering skills (i.e. hand drawing, Photoshop, InDesign, Sketchup, AutoCAD, Revit)
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated interest and experience in urban planning and development issues
- Ability to assist with facilitating community outreach processes
- Willingness to learn about and/or experience with the technical aspects of the public planning and development process
- Understanding of urban infrastructure and economic development issues
About Smith Gee Studio
Collaboration, Community, and Exceptional Design. You’ll find them in everything we do — from our projects, to our office culture, to our passion for making improvements in our communities. Our work environment is a key to our success. It’s a collaborative, creative, trusting and fun atmosphere, where people are given plenty of opportunities to grow their skills and take on greater responsibility. We are always interested in meeting motivated, detail-oriented people who share our passion for creating great places to live, work and play. We offer competitive salaries and a full range of benefits including healthcare, 401(k) plans, a dog-friendly, casual workplace and karaoke parties. Basically, we love what we do, and that’s a big reason why our clients love what we do for them.
Submit all questions, resume and portfolio to email@example.com.