- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: New Port Richey, Florida
Principal Planner - Urban Design
Salary: $66,226.00 - $105,962.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Planning & Development
Deadline: September 24, 2020
General Description: Advanced and responsible professional planning work of complex specialized projects and studies with a minimum of supervision. The ideal candidate will assist in leading the charge of establishing and encouraging high quality design standards through design advocacy programs and processes both internally and externally; institute departmental framework that focuses on the importance of design and place making; and, play an active role in creating design standards that support Pasco County's diverse communities in both the Land Development Code and the Comprehensive Plan.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: All employees will be required to work before, during, or after an Emergency. During an Emergency employees may temporarily be assigned to work and perform duties outside the normal scope of their position, location and work schedule to fit the needs of the County and its citizens.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists the Long Range Planning Manager in planning, organizing, and directing activities in the Long Range Planning Division. Supports Long Range Planning Manager with program and strategy execution, resource leveling, financial balancing, and contract management.
- Responsible for quality assurance/quality control activities for Department-produced planning documents and other products.
- Utilizes appropriate benchmarks and metrics to analyze and track progress of projects and define success.
- Identifies opportunities and solutions for process improvement within the Long Range Planning program.
- Develops façade and massing studies to merge with local code and zoning regulations.
- Compares buildings and sites; analyzes the effects of design on surrounding fabrics; explores contextually appropriate building envelope materials and building shape options.
- Generates schemes; design options and ideas to assist in the preparation of design presentation packages using various software tools.
- Presents ideas and designs clearly and professionally in-line with the overall project goals and vision.
- Use all of the above to be an influential part in the design and development review processes.
- Assist in managing activities and responsibilities for the creation of a new Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code for Pasco County including managing the planners and consultants involved, if needed.
- Prepares and manages market area plans which includes special area studies relative to land use and occupancy; street, road, and arterial activity center location and usage; water and sewage facilities; multimodal transportation systems; and recreational and cultural needs of the County.
- Integrates strategies and best practices related to urban design, sustainability and resilience within our existing projects and programs. In addition, monitors program development and finds new opportunities for expanding the Long Range Planning program to advance and bolster these goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Project Management Skills
Communication/Negotiating Skills: Prepares reports for the operating units within the Division. Ability and experience of presenting ideas and finding clearly and concisely in both written and oral form to community-at-large, Board members, stakeholders and other audiences.
Planning /Organizational Skills
Demonstrated ability to plan and execute complex projects with specific deadlines involving multiple teams. Plan, organize, and review the work of subordinates as needed.
Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with subordinates, superiors, other County departments, community officials, citizens and State and Federal officials. Ability and experience addressing civic organizations and committees.
Ability to lead and assist the Long Range Planning Manager in a wide variety of planning and design projects and tasks with varying complexities.
Time Management Skills
Ability to foresee entire projects as a whole and anticipate potential disruptions and possess effective skills to minimize potential impacts on the process using tools for project management like Smartsheet, MS Project or other reporting tools.
Subject Matter Skills
Planning: Knowledge of the principals and accepted practices of municipal planning and urban design/town planning which includes traditional neighborhood design, transit-oriented design and new urbanism, Redevelopment/infill development and greenfield development design and process. Drawing and illustration skills a plus. Knowledge of the methods of collection and analysis of planning data and experience in the preparation of planning reports and studies. Ability to work on a number of publishing and technical CAD software systems.
Comprehensive Plan: Ability to prepare comprehensive plan elements and amendments. Ability to analyze and evaluate pertinent data for plan development. Correlates a variety of statistical and planning data for the Comprehensive Plan.
Land Development Code: Knowledge of and experience with any of the following: Performance Based Codes, Form Based Codes, and Incentive Based Codes and their relevance to different contexts. Ability to develop regulations and incentives required to support the implementation of special area plans that are applicable to Pasco County and acceptable to stakeholders.
PHYSICAL SKILLS: Ability to communicate effectively using verbal, written, and visual communication.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in urban planning, architecture or a related field and four (4) years' of professional experience in urban planning, urban design and/or economic development.
Experience in planning, programming and processing applications for large scale projects and area plans. Specialties in experience may be focused in Comprehensive Planning, Urban Design and Transit Oriented Design, and/or Economic Development and Redevelopment.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS: Must possess a valid driver's license. AICP and/or PMP preferred.
ADA STATEMENT: A qualified employee or applicant with a disability may be afforded a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential job functions of a position in compliance with the American's with Disabilities Act.
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE: Pasco County BOCC is a drug-free workplace in accordance with Federal and Florida law.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: Under Section 295.07, F.S., Chapter SSA-7, Pasco County BCC provides to Veterans, that preference in appointment will be given to preference-eligible applicants.
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE: Pasco County BOCC is a drug-free workplace in accordance with Federal and Florida Law.